L-theanine is Effective in Lessening Positive Symptoms, and improving Sleep Quality in patients with schizophrenia

CONCLUSIONS:

Our results suggest that l-theanine is effective in ameliorating positive symptoms and sleep quality in schizophrenia

Dose: l-Theanine (250 mg/day)

more information on L-Theanine

WHERE TO BUY L-Theanine

https://www.google.com/search?q=l-theanine&safe=off&es_sm=119&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=TNg3VcH1LcX6oQTD7ICoBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1077&bih=610

20 Likes

This new research is interesting. If someone decides to try this supplement - please post your results here on the forum.

5 Likes

I’ve been taking it for a few months, I didn’t realise it was supposed to be beneficial for schizophrenia, I was just taking it as a relaxing aid. I find it helps a bit with disorganised thinking for a few hours. I’ve only been taking it in the evening. I might take another capsule during the day now.

I just use this

http://m.iherb.com/Now-Foods-L-Theanine-100-mg-90-Veggie-Caps/853

3 Likes

We don’t take it on it’s own but it is part of the Melatonin we take. I find the combination of Melatonin, 5-HTP and L-theanine works better then Melatonin alone.

6 Likes

I took it as a supplement I only noticed a placebo for a few days then it faded out.

I believe l-theanine is in green tea

What dose did you take per day?

In the research they said: Dose: l-Theanine (250 mg/day)

Yes - L-theanine is in green tea - but not at the level that is used in this research.

1 Like

Should this be taken once a day? Last thing at night?

Yes - once a day says the study. not sure on timing - perhaps try different times of the day.

Just taken 200mg. It is midday here. Will let you know how I get on.

2 Likes

So took 200mg six hours ago. It is certainly psychotropic. Very relaxing. Too early to say if it has effects on positive symptoms. Took it at midday. Think I will take it in the evenings.

5 Likes

L-theanine is an agonist (meaning enhancer) for the synaptic transmission of gamma amino buteric acid (GABA), which is a well-established inhibitor of dopamine transmission. So. It makes “sense,” at least, that it would produce the effects several people have described to me elsewhere, including “calming,” “soothing” and at least “lowering the volume” of and/or “slowing down” racing thoughts.

See the following (and more) at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3055690/:

“Several lines of evidence from post-mortem, brain imaging, and genetic studies in schizophrenia patients suggest that Gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) deficits may contribute to the pathophysiology of schizophrenia. Pharmacological induction of a transient GABA-deficit state has been shown to enhance vulnerability of healthy subjects to the psychotomimetic effects of various drugs. Exacerbating or creating a GABA deficit was hypothesized to induce or unmask psychosis in schizophrenia patients, but not in healthy controls. To test this hypothesis, a transient GABA deficit was pharmacologically induced in schizophrenia patients and healthy controls using iomazenil, an antagonist and partial inverse agonist of the benzodiazepine receptor. In a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, clinically stable chronic schizophrenia patients (n=13) received iomazenil (3.7 μg administered intravenously over 10 min). Psychosis was measured using the Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale and perceptual alterations were measured using the Clinician Administered Dissociative Symptoms Scale before and after iomazenil administration. These data were compared with the effects of iomazenil in healthy subjects (n=20). Iomazenil produced increases in psychotic symptoms and perceptual alterations in schizophrenia patients, but not in healthy controls. The greater vulnerability of schizophrenia patients to the effects of iomazenil relative to controls provides further support for the GABA-deficit hypothesis of schizophrenia.”

6 Likes

I took one during the day in addition to the one in the evening and my day was definitely easier. I’ll probably do that from now on. It gives me a break from ‘obession’ like thinking for a while.

7 Likes

100mg or 200mg is the common dosages. Its a great sleep enhancer. So is Glycine and Magnesium. I’ve been using 100mg but some have reported 200mg at bedtime as highly effective. Other have said 100mg is a better dosage for them.

Anyways, there are also reports that this combined with caffeine improves your performance on mentally challenging tasks … makes you sharper.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18681988

Its also interesting that this is given to cats and dogs to help calm them as well. The peeing dog and cat problems … this might work.

H

4 Likes

Anybody taking 250mg/day that can report back on how it impacts them?

1 Like

I’m taking 200mg a day now, up from 100mg a day. There doesn’t seem to be a long lasting effect by which I mean the effect wears off immediately if you stop taking it. The effect is dramatic for me when it comes to sorting out my thinking. I take 100mg on waking up, it kicks in about 90 minutes later. I go from hellish thinking to sanity in 90 minutes like a light switch. The effect lasts for maybe 6 hours, then I take another 100mg.

5 Likes

I take 200mg twice a day. It has certainly helped sleep. Also during the days I am finding it easier to leave the house. Funny thing is when I first took I thought ‘this feels like clonazepam’. Notmoses then went on to say this works on the same receptors. And as far as I understand it is non-addictive.

So my current supplement regime is:

50mg pregnenolone in the morning
3G lysine twice a day
1g of sarcosine twice a day
1g of NAC twice a day
200mg of theanine twice a day
1 multivitamin/multimineral a day

I am very happy birthday with this cocktail. I mean for me it is no substitution for normal aps but compliments them very well. But I don’t think I will add anymore on - think this is enough for now. Cost me just shy of £40 a month for all these but I think it is worth it.

9 Likes

Jimbob,

How long have you been on this current supplement regime?

I find it really interesting because you are taking basically all the supplements that have good evidence behind them as being helpful.

Hey admin. Been on this combination for about 4-6 weeks now. Found out about them from this site.

1 Like

@ jimbob has it helped in negative symptoms of sz…

1 Like