Which is worse schizophrenia or depression

Schizophrenia is the worst mental illness by far. I had bipolar for 15 years before schizoaffective and my life was a lot more enjoyable.

1 Like

I think the central delusion is a belief thought does something which is the correlation to belief. once you UNDERSTAND thought does not do anything then you get free of the rest of the deluaions. a lot of subtle beliefs claim prayer or some type of thought does stuff belief. so getting free of all beliefs thought does anything gets you from delusional to normal.

I cured my depression for the most part…can’t figure out how to cure sza!!..Tryptophan and fish oil helped a lot for depression.

1 Like

When i get suicidal depressed i can still switch to kansas, right Toto ?. There is no place like home.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that for me OCD is the worst out of my diagnosis. I know this thread is specifically between the two but I thought I’d give my perspective. I can do something to give me quick relief of depression like play with my pets or look at old family photos, or even a quick fishing trip. Psychosis is awful, but it is more distracting to me than anything, in the sense that it makes it hard to concentrate. It is also scary sometimes and when I’m paranoid it is super debilitating. As far as anxiety goes I’m so used to being perpetually anxious that it has become harder to function when I’m not anxious.

However, nothing consumes my life quite like OCD. Every thought and every movement is dominated by doing it in the correct order, or the correct amount of times, and even at the right time of day. Even my eye movements have to comply. I obsess about home intruders, and my paranoia is also rooted in that so its a double whammy. OCD makes me feel more like a freak than any of the other ones. I’m used to walking around psychotic, I can hide it pretty well, but I am still super uncomfortable having to please my compulsions in public.

As I said before, everyone has different experiences. My psychosis may not be as severe as someone else’s, so this is purely subjective, IMO.

1 Like

Thanks all for all the good answers.

In my case I think schizophrenia is far worse than depression bcoz it disables you more and makes you less functional.

I never had depression so can’t say much but I think it has better meds to treat it than schizophrenia.

A psychiatrist I had in the past, had advised me to not say to people that I have schizophrenia, but depression which is so common and without stigma

1 Like

Both suck pretty hard.

But the good news is they can be managed (for the most part) with meds, a solid routine, and self-care.

1 Like

I really wish people would stop comparing mental illnesses and play the “who has it worse” game.
Any mental illness can be debilitating or crippling if the symptoms are bad enough, and any mental illness can be pretty harmless if the symptoms are under control.

2 Likes

Schizophrenia for sure!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.