Is schizoaffective worse than regular SZ?

I’m reading a new book about SZ and wondering if schizoaffective is worse because it has the bipolar or manic depressant component.

Is the schizophrenia aspect less severe in these cases or is it a double wammy?

2 Likes

Schizophrenia is generally worse. Some schizophrenics work or go to school. I have schizoaffective and I don’t. I also don’t hallucinate or hear voices, but have intense delusions and negative symptoms. I’ve been diagnosed with both conditions.

It depends on what book you read or who you ask. Some say sz is worse others say sza is worse. A doctor told me it varies by individual basis not just the diagnoses

7 Likes

You would think that people with both psychosis and a mood disorder would fare worse, but typically people with schizoaffective tend to fare better. Both are typically disabling though.

2 Likes

Usually, schizophrenia has a worse prognosis than schizoaffective but it’s not always the case.

I am diagnosed with schizoaffective and I have to deal with multiple symptoms, including mania, depression, anxiety and severe psychosis.

It all depends - it varies.
Schizophrenia and schizoaffective can be equally as bad.

1 Like

I wouldn’t compare them. They are both terrible diseases.

2 Likes

I think it just depends on the person. There are people who don’t have a psychotic disorder at all who are way worse off and lower functioning than I am.

1 Like

I’m a pretty mild case of schizophrenia. So to me it would seem that an extra component of a mood disorder would make it worse. But it really would depend on the individual.

My psychiatrist said schizoaffective disorders have a better prognosis.

Yeah sza usually has a better prognosis than sz but this is not always the case.

Its not a contest,

Best not to compare.

4 Likes

I agree. It did make me feel a little hopeful when he said that. Apparently according to his diagnosis I suffer from schizoaffective disorder. I don’t know though, off the meds I feel more like a schizophrenic. Both schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder are life long illnesses. I’m 100% with you in your comment.

2 Likes

I have sza with a big depression component but the sz part of my illness is mild. So my depression is severe but psychosis mild. Usually when I go to hospital it’s due to depression or mixed mood rather than voices - although they are there too.

I am sz and I have a guarded prognosis. Who else has a guarded prognosis?

@anon47167357 what does a guarded prognosis mean? And how do doctors find out prognosis? I was never told my prognosis

1 Like

I reckon it is different person to person. The difference in diagnosis is largely duration of mood problems relative to the duration of sz symptoms.

I googled it and I think it means your prognosis is dependent on your compliance with medication

I got my file from my gp

Oh ok. I didn’t know I can look at my own file. Say if you call your pdoc office, can the secretary see your information like diagnosis, Dr, therapist notes?