Why does schizophrenia have a worse prognosis than schizoaffective?

Does anyone know why?

Beats me, but I have a theory: schizoaffective are usually prescribed a mood stabilizer; some of these are HDAC inhibitors, which can make an AP work better. Additionally, antidepressants which may be prescribed actually promote neurogenesis.

It’s also possible it’s just genetically different.

I actually heard the opposite was true. Now I’m confused. I don’t know which one is worse.

I think it’s because those with sza sometimes get hypomanic, and that gets them through the rough times.

2 Likes

Supposedly the delusions and hallucinations are more intense when it comes to Schizophrenia.
I don’t know, my delusions are very intense and I’m diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder.
It all depends really.

1 Like

I think it is because schizophrenia has more deficits but I do not know.

I think because more people with sz appear to suffer from flat effect and that appears to be very disabling.

Probably because schizoaffective is episodic with complete remission between episodes (but I may be confusing sza with bipolar). Tough to say.

Yeah that’s bipolar …

1 Like

Complete remission with SzA? - not in my experience.

I stand corrected. Wave is correct.

1 Like

Another interesting fact. The prognosis of the depressive type of schizoaffective is worse than the bipolar type.

Still haven’t found out why this is true for this and schizophrenia.

i asked my doctor this once and he said it just depends on the individual patient/client. some with sz are better off than those with sza and vice versa

1 Like

I know everyone is different but this is what I read and it doesn’t have an explanation. I’m just really confused.

i was confused too when i read that but that is just what my doctor said

I dunno, but sz is a baller-ass diagnosis to have. Ppl will shake in their boots when u tell them that cuz they think u gonna murder them. Ppl imagine sz’s as an indolent sitting in the corner of the room drooling mumbling to himself. U are blessed by the gods, for u have a very rare condition that lets u see the message. If u ever choose to ignore the message u will surely feel neglected, but embrace reality for the monster that it is and one day u will transcend and find ur seat amongst the gods.

2 Likes

Yup - I agree. :worried:

1 Like

Don’t know myself but my sza is episodic with residual symptoms in between. So there’s always something going on even if it’s just avolition.

Wow this is an old thread.