What do you do in a typical day if you have severe negative symptoms?

I am trying to find things I can do with my severe negative symptoms.

So far things I can do the most are vaping and listening to music.

Maybe you need a dog… I take my dog for a walk occasionally when it’s not too cold. Forces me to get some exercise. And also they might force you out of bed when they need to go outside. I dunno. Might be good for you if your parents would allow it. Plus you can play with them.

1 Like

I suggest you read James Clear’s book Atomic Habits. It’s a life changer.

1 Like

I wish they would allow it. A cat sounds nice too.

oh yeah…i think i’m remembering now you said in another thread that they “wouldnt even let you get a bird”. That was you wasnt it?

1 Like

I will have a look at it but I have difficulty reading books. Its weird because I can read on this forum but not super long posts. Thanks.

or was that someone else?

1 Like

Yeah it was me.

1 Like

whoops my bad. my suggestion is useless then :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Its fine, you tried :grin:

1 Like

Slam an extra cup of coffee and go for a walk. The activity jacks me up and helps me keep going.

3 Likes

It’ll be good for you even if you only read a page at a time. I think you’d bond with the author right away. He was going great and suffered a setback, too, only it was physical.

1 Like

Maybe painting? I mean, I’m not good at it, so you don’t need to be good at it… and half the time I don’t even know what to paint🤷‍♀️ But put on some music (I like listening to lofi when I paint)

2 Likes

The first part is easy for me lol but the second one harder. I will double my coffee tomorrow morning and see if I can walk even if its in the house. Thanks.

3 Likes

Yea I like music, as for painting it would be easier on my father’s tablet with a pen. I will try that. Thanks.

2 Likes

I have an additional motivation that you don’t: Diverticular disease. Walking increases bowel motility and keeps stuff moving through. The damaged portion of my large intestine is prone to infection and it’s girls gone wild for it if I’m not walking enough. The flare-ups are so painful that I make a point of walking at least 7,000 steps per day minimum no matter how bad the weather or how awful I feel. Because I’ll feel MUCH worse if I don’t.

Been doing this for so long that I basically can’t NOT walk now. Go crazy when I don’t walk. Habits are powerful.

2 Likes

When it warms up sit outside in the sun it will make you feel better

4 Likes

As a sufferer of schizophernia i can tell you there is often a mixture of positive and negative symptoms. The question as my nurse taught me is do you enjoy yourself, even with negative symptoms? If yes, then who has the problem? You, or the doctor and society.

2 Likes

You could buy an electric guitar and just mess with it. Or just any other instrument. You could make your own music with previously said instruments or by going to a website that has sound boards. You could also learn to hack by downloading kali linux on vm ware. It sucks you have trouble reading. Do you think it’s your comprehension or processing speed? I know neurofeedback treats both of those.

1 Like