We need a chat room (instant messaging)

A different server for each service? That seems odd. You should be able to run all 3 services on a single server. Forum and main site definitely should be on the same server. As for mail, I don’t see why you need more than a private domain name and an email service that most host providers give for free.

I am guessing the services are high enough volume that they beat the snot out of a shared server package.

10-96

1 Like

Yes - we’re pretty high volume - and greater risk for issues. We send out about 50,000 email messages a month, 15 gig of traffic on the main server. Forums are not heavy in traffic but you start mixing Ruby apps/docker, etc. with Apache-based server sw and things get complex and a single point of failure. You want some load sharing in any environment.

1 Like

What if a few of us just went to a chat room together?

We could create a username thread where we tell each other which names we had on a site. Normals would be a problem though. They’d likely start stuff. If we created code words it might work.

I’m down if anyone wants to try it.

Yea I have that problem in real life. I used to be quick with the comebacks. But now I’m like 500 mS between my ears and my brain. It’s like playing a game with lag. I’ll never win.
So now I just listen to other people and study them.

Is that true? Quitting pot (I assume that’s what you mean by green man)? Makes a difference? My son smokes a lot. I read conflicting theories and some with Sz say it helps them, others say it makes them more paranoid or delusional. It’s such a complicated illness!! I don’t know what to do about his pot smoking. He drinks a couple beers a day, but not more than that. Before his break, he was getting downright drunk! I kinda feel like he really doesn’t have many pleasures right now. I’m hoping to talk him into some CBT. Right now he just isn’t ready to try anything.

I’ll tell you why I’m “hanging around this site.” My son is schizophrenic and his cognitive functioning is such that he wouldn’t really know how to navigate a site like this. I am here to learn. There is a family category, which is where I usually stay. This is my first time in this category. Sorry. I’m not trying to be rude, just honest.

Could have read “are you still hitting the green?” the man part was added just as a reflection of my speech patterns…

but yes green = marijuana

1 Like

We need a few more new bar stools too.

I think the vast majority of the research suggests that cannabis (with moderate or higher levels of THC) is a bad idea if you have psychosis / schizophrenia. I think most psychiatrists who are working to help their patients try to get them to quit.

Here is a quote from a current study in Europe:

“Cannabis use by people with schizophrenia is associated with family distress and poor clinical outcomes. Therefore, an Family Motivational Intervention (FMI) was developed to help parents to motivate their child with a diagnoses of recent-onset schizophrenia to reduce cannabis use.”

source:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01167556?term=schizophrenia&rank=8

3 Likes

And a hot tub. And fuzzy dice. And a samovar for my tea.

Pixel.

1 Like

I thought it was pretty cool!!

@asgoodasitgets. It is all here.

I personally don’t see a difference since the forums live update like Facebook anyway.

Find me on google plus

We could just make a massive google chat hang out…

I think people could leave it if they want as well… Havent really messed with it

Maybe we can have a friend list,those who added each other can instant chat with each other :smile:

1 Like

Yes - we had chat on this site for a number of years and it was just a hassle to moderate and few people used it. These new forums that we have update as you post your message - like Facebook - so I don’t see the need for chat too.

I used a chat room a few times at socialanxietysupport.com. I didn’t like it. There was a lot of nonsense; I thought it had little value. They did have a feature I really liked though, a blog section. Each person could have their own blog, which they could post whatever they wanted (within reason of course). I’m not sure how popular it was, but I loved it. Really cool feature.

In other news, vinyl and cassette tape technologies are both making a comeback.

Pixel.

2 Likes

Can someone please lock this? A resolution was reached a long time ago.