Trying to stay calm.... panicking on the inside. I think it's hospital time

Using a camera, referred to as endoscopy, is also an option. It’s a little old school and some doctors don’t use that procedure anymore.

She would most likely be sedated for that procedure, but the sedation would wear off quickly. So the doc might let her see the captured images.

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

@radmedtech

What were some of the first things you did to begin to kick some of the stress and panic out of your life? I know you’ve said it’s been a beast with you. But your starting to knock it down really well. If you don’t mind me asking, what were some of your first steps. I was slapped in stress management therapy during rehab and my head was sort of swimming anyway. My stress management was intergraded with staying sober and clean.

She’s not going to get that flavor of it. I had no idea mental stress could kill that much physical health.

My stress and panic has been one of the most debilitating symptoms for me. I think the tipping point for me was when my stress and panic started causing serious health problems. It caused a severe stomach problem that I’m still dealing with today.

So I knew I had to do something about it ASAP. My first step was getting medication (clonazepam) to help ease the panic. Once the medication started working and I was able to think more clearly, I started CBT.

That’s where I found real relief. It helped me learn coping skills that I could use in addition to medication. Eventually, as my coping skills got better, I was able to reduce the medication.

Cut to today where I’m completely off of anti-anxiety medication. I credit CBT for that. I do use some supplements to relax me, but they’re far safer and easier than benzodiazepines.

The point is that medication and therapy go hand-in-hand at treating stress and panic. They’re both essential in the initial treatment.

I can’t tell you how much my quality of life has improved since starting that regimine!

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

Hey J, I’m sorry to hear that you and your Sister are going through a rough time now. I can use only myself as an example. When something is out of the comfort zone in my life, when there is a change bad, or sometimes even good, I get out of sorts. If there is something not positive in my life happening, I tend to go into panic mode - everything else doesnt matter, I focus and magnify the negative situation. If it is an ulcer, they are very treatable - through a special bland diet and sometimes temporary meds usually. the ulcer heals itself and one gets better.
Try to remain focused and calm, It’s probably not as big or bad as you are thinking it is.
Wishing you and your sister all the best.

1 Like

my dad had an ulcer, in the hospital for a little while.
not me, when i get like that i take some seroquel and go to sleep.
when you wake up practice relaxation techniques.
I got a crazy little sister too, same problem, takes on stress like there’s nothing wrong with that.
you can see that scared little girl trying to keep a straight face and hold it together,
barely able to breathe from all her anxiety.
gotta relax.

me i practice anorexia on purpose,
only way to eliminate nasty tactile hallucinations.
if i eat i feel “bad”, like bugs are crawling through my body and making me itch everywhere,
very disturbing. So no i don’;t eat but yes i do live,
diet that can keep you alive, give you zzero satisfaction and feel like zero calories but maintain your physical and mental strength,

see nepomuk onderdonk antiparasitic crunch on you tube, that’s the diet,
cause mankind has two brains they recently discovered,
one in the head, the other in the belly,
just as much neural tissue in your colon as in your brain.
the brain keeps itslef full with ideas,
the gut keeps full of vegetables,
or nothing,
or bad stuff.

if i were her i wouldn’t eat the bad stuff, as bad as messing with drugs
if you have a sensitive “colon” / mind

wonderdonkey

2 Likes

I dont know about ulcers, save for the president of this fraternity i was pledging had an ulcer from drinking and he could only eat grilled cheese for months. Lol

But she needs some attention from an MD. Coughing up blood is a serious problem. As far as mental health is concerned, she might just be within the normal range of stress related problems, but an evaluation would leave no stone unturned- I took one and learned EVERYTHING about myself, mental health status, personality traits, even prognosis for my schizophrenia was taken from the results of a formal evaluation. I have the very treatable type of schizophrenia, high positive symptoms and low negative symptoms, I found this out right when the doc was finished evaluating me.

I hope this gets cleared up…she sounds like she’s been doing well and I would hate to hear bad news. You sound like you’re doing well too. Whatever the problem is, it can be treated…those psychiatrists and psychologists and MD’s all know their stuff and are like wizards. I had a torn muscle which I thought was a groin hernia, and the doc took less than a minute to figure out what was wrong and decide what to do about it.

Sorry to hear this. Did you say she had anorexia? I used to have it and recovered completely within a year, so if she does I can share some insight about it. It’s a serious disorder, anorexia can be fatal.

She was diagnosed with anorexia she was hugely underweight. It was almost six months ago, she fainted at work.

She’s been working on it the best she can. I’m about 6’3" and all gangly. She’s shorter then me, about 5’ 10" and 103- 105 pounds. That is UP from 93 or so.

I’m told that at 5’10" a healthy weight is 130 for females. She’s working on it. But now that this has come to light, she might not be anorexic after all, it could just be stress related inability to keep food down. I guess she has been unable to keep food down for years. All stress related.

How did you beat it? It only took you a year? I do NOT like the sound of fatal. I though people lived with this like we live with SZ, not pleasant, but manageable. But fatal?

“Anorexia can be fatal” was a true or false question on one of my abnormal psych exams…
I recovered by getting an interest in being muscular. I went from having anorexia to manorexia, where you always want to be bigger and stronger. I studied nutrition and started myself on a health food but high calorie diet, and I moderated my exercise and subbed some cardio for strength training. I became lean and muscular, I was rather skeletal before. It took me just 3 months to get a healthy weight back, but I was eating a special high calorie diet. It really takes motivation of the anorexic to change…they are the ones who will chew and swallow food.

Anorexia is a psychological and social disorder, not neurological. Psychiatrists don’t give plain anorexics any meds. It’s common for anorexics to have depression or anxiety fueling their anorexia, but it is treated through talk therapy primarily. She’s too skinny, I can tell you that. I was 5’7, 113lbs and that was underweight and fit the criteria for anorexia. I was told that if I was female, I would have had amenorrhea, or missed periods due to starvation.

Maybe ask her is she has amenorrhea…I know that she wont like that but it will tell you if she for sure has it. But that body weight, 5’10 and 105 sounds like an Auschwitz survivor’s body weight.

Well that should cover the anorexia part…this could all be stress related though. Stomach ulcers can happen to anorexics who purge (vomit). But it SOUNDS like stress is the culprit, not her weight.

Ask me anything about anorexia, I’ve been there done that and literally got an A in it last semester, it was a huge topic in Abnormal Psychology.

i think girls can get carried away on anorexia.
my sister practiced it three times in life and abruptly stopped after she’s achieved her goal.
she is a crazy girl all about superficial things, so guess that’s how that happened.
i practice anorexia and it’s difficult, i drop off the wagon and eat like a pig for a few days,
but i get very sick, hit rock bottom, and quit food again for weeks.
i am at 118, and even when i try to gain nothing happens, but i keep gradually losing,
even though i really do everything i can strategy wise to gain weight,
just don’t actually eat food other than raw radished, brussel sprouts, and califlauer.
all the veins show in the mirror, after a shower i can watch my heartbeat and all the organs beating,
it’s like i’m transparent. anorexia on purpose for the sake of relieving sz symptoms, since after 32 years their meds do zero, those wizards are just old men behind the screen wonder mouse, don’t look! don’t look! it’s just the wizard, not really as powerful as you think, or wish.

responderdonk

I can fight down hallucinations, delusions and bad perceptions in reality. I can face some high waves, split currents and even a rip current. But I don’t think there is anyway I can face a head strong redhead and ask that.

1 Like

Everybody discussed ulcers. I wonder if it could be anything else?

…LOL that made me LOL hard

sounds like she needs a holiday , she sounds sleep deprived , and her body and brain needs some nourishment and rest. ( health protien shakes /juices )
i remember one of your posts your sis was stressed out about exams and that can hit you weeks later.
has she considered yoga , it will calm her body and mind.
lavender on her pillow will calm her.
a blood test will show if she is deficient in vitamins and minerals e.g iron and vitamin b’s .
for some one who is only seventeen she is amazing , but must realize she can not heal the world, she must look after her self .
take care

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, James. It is nice to see your sis and your concern for one another.

I thought that ulcers were sometimes traced to a bacterial infection that responded to a specific antibiotic.

I grew up in an alcoholic family. Therefore, because we lived in constant crisis, everything got top priority. It is difficult for me to prioritize as a result. It seems it is time now for your sister to take care of herself. Understandably, she may not be well programmed for such!

I function fine in crisis. It is after a crisis that I fall apart. If your sister is like me in that regard, it might explain why when things are going well with you she feels worse than when you were not dong so well.

Do you guys have a general practitioner that you like or trust?

Jayster

3 Likes

I also think it could be stress. My sister was too stressed out, she ended up in ER with suspected heart attack. She is 32 years old. But all tests were ok. She was only too stressed. 3 kids, studying, working, x-mas. All at once.

A doc should check out her stomach to rule out any other conditions. When I was 15 I lived under huge stress because of school and abusive father. I had constant pain in my stomach. I got pills that neutralize the acid from the doc.

Jayster… This really got me thinking. At her job, (lifeguard) she is so cool headed in a crisis. But when the person is OK and on their way either home or two the hospital and out of her hands, that is when it hits her. It hits her when the person is going to be Ok. Maybe now that I’m doing OK all these long years of looking after me is hitting her.

Thank you for that pondering.

The fast acting parents are taking her in for a full check-up after her shift this morning. She was going to wait until next week or later. But now that Mom and Dad know, they are going to be a little more proactive about this. Blood work and all that will be today.

2 Likes

I feel bad for her, I hope she recovers asap
Doctors say that Anemia might be a cause for Ulcer, it could be better if she gets on an Ulcer diet, I found this link about it and it looks so good
http://www.ulcer-cure.com/index.php/all-about-stomach-ulcers/diets-stomach-ulcers/ulcer-diet.
Best wishes J to u and to your sis.

This is very helpful and informative. Thank you for this. I really do appriciate it. Thank you again. It means a lot to me.

1 Like

Your welcome J, I hope it helps :smile: