Things my father/mother/significant adult taught me. What about you?

My dad taught me to face the forks and knives down when putting them in the dish drainer to keep from accidentally cutting myself. He also taught me how to open a can with a knife. My stepmom taught me how to make gravy for pot roast. My mom taught me how to tell if your shirt’s on backward. The tag goes on your left.

4 Likes

My dad was an IT lecturer, so ever since a young age, even when not everybody used computers yet, I got pretty good at IT. These days everything to do with IT I just pick up no problem.

2 Likes

When i asked my father a question he answered, boy when you don’t know that, i can’t help you.

1 Like

That’s sad

1 Like

Dad: If someone gets in your face stomp the ■■■■ out of them.

Mom: If someone gets in your face ignore them and walk away.

I sometimes wish that I had listened to my dad because keeping the peace all the time is just too much work.

:innocent:

2 Likes

one time as a boy I was really nervous about leaving home for a week to go to an art camp in Kansas at a university…dad said, “just have fun, Michael. try to have fun.” and just like that I wasn’t nervous anymore…I will never forget that and I DID have a lot of fun…met another kid there and we went around the university all the time…fun fun…!!

1 Like

sigh

My parents didnt teach me much.

My father taught me math (lol), and my mother taught me pain, everything else I had to learn experience myself.

1 Like

My mom taught me about selfless service in the running of a household, and my dad taught me that a solid work routine ensures stability for the household.

Verbally they didn’t teach me deep morals or anything, but their actions spoke volumes more than any selection of words could.

Much love.

1 Like

My dad instilled a pretty good work ethic in me. In fact it was so good that when I got out of my first psyche ward at age 19 and put in my first group home as a schizophrenic the first week I was there I put on a nice pair of pants and a nice shirt and walked up and down the street appylying for jobs.

. I got two offers and took a job in a donut shop. My parents found out three days later qnd told me, “Nick, you don’t have to work just concentrate on getting better.”. But they laughed at my instincts and drive to go out and get a job when I was freshly diagnosed and sick as hell.

My mom taught me a lot of stuff about keeping a house clean and other household tips that I use now. My sisters taught me how to shop for clothes and dress nicely.

2 Likes

My father taught me not to trust men.
My mother taught me the value of exercise and religion
My ex husband further confirmed in me the idea that no men could be trusted.
My multiple female lovers taught me that women are fickle.

1 Like

My mother taught me indirectly to stop the binge eating.

1 Like

My dad taught me that all men are pigs

My mom taught me to be a good person

2 Likes

Omg. I’m so sorry.
I learned from my dad that women are put in this earth to please men sexually and other than that they had no value. My father broke my heart that way. He’s so not like that anymore.
My mother was a gorgeous woman who taught me the same but she also became a different person before she died.
So I thought my only value was in sexually pleasing a man and I slept with men that I didn’t want to sleep with just to gain/keep their affection.

1 Like

When I was a small child, my dad would come home from work at lunchtime every day just so I could practice reading with him during his lunch break. I learned to read at 3 years old and reading has been my favorite pastime ever since. :books: :slightly_smiling_face:

My dad also taught me to appreciate science and math. I have been a nerd all my life. :nerd_face: :blush:

9 Likes

I’m 43. I don’t know what age you are but my dad kept Omni science magazines in the house and books like The Call of the Wild and Brer Rabbit. When my sis and I were really little he read those books to us before bedtime.

Being a nerd is great. I was never popular in school and that was hard on my self esteem but I always had my studies. My dad and his live in gf (who was 6 years older than me) had a chaotic relationship so I survived by being an academic.

I’m still a geek and very proud of it. Never think about not fitting in bc you’re a geek. You don’t need to fit in.

4 Likes

My mom taught me how to be respectful and patient.

My dad taught me how to have a good work ethic.

2 Likes

Dad taught me that most men like sport so if you appreciate sport you’ll have some chat and friends. My mum and dad didn’t really have any real friends when we were growing up. My sister and brothers all have a lot of friends so they taught us how precious that was.

The most important thing though was with little money we had totally over the top emotional support and a loving environment. That was priceless even now.

3 Likes

My dad: Pay your bills first and then you know what extra you have. If you are quitting a job make sure you have another one lined up before you quit.

My mom taught me all about cooking and baking.

2 Likes

Grew up with no dad. Didn’t meet him till 3rd grade. No idea what a dad was, though everyone’s mom was a teen, and they lived with their grandparents.

Mom eventually taught me, after having kids and getting married. That she too could grow up, married her husband a year after I got married at 18. She said even becoming a Grandma at 32, she was still proud cause I’m the only female in the family to ever graduate high school and I did 2 weeks of college with a 9 month old and pregnant with #2 at 19. She said i made her realize she can’t fix my childhood, but she can advise me how not to ■■■■■■ like she did with my middle sister. I raised my mom and sisters for a few years when things went south mynlast few years of high school, she taught me to grow up and take care of what had to be done. She says even sick I’m stronger than she ever was, because I didn’t devalue myself for boyfriends and didn’t turn to drugs. She’s proud we’re on 20 years together for John and I. She didn’t like him at first, cause of her past, but when he helped pay our Bill’s right out of high school and made sure we kept food on the table while she was nonfunctional from depression, she learned that she gained a son in a way. And we can turn to her for help if needed, she never expects money back but knows we absolutely will pay it back. It’s rare, but I gotta say, my stepdad has been a great father to my youngest sister still living with them (she’s 27 and works, pays bills, etc) and he is the grandpa that was there outside the room when I had my oldest. Mom and him were only dating, but he came in and told me then he wanted to marry mom and make us family. So my real dad pops in, he’s Grandpa Eric, but stepdad is Grandpa to my kids. No question.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for you @Loke. I hope you aren’t still trying to please men with sex now. I used to be the same way: Sleeping with both men and women I wasn’t attracted to just to get and keep their approval.

1 Like