SZ as a disorder of high IQ and other theories

Google the medical journals.

I won’t. it isn’t true. being a nearly genius has its perks. clit.

I’ve seen some low functioning people with schizophrenia with high IQ’s living in groups homes smearing poo and I’ve seen some people with intellectual disabilities with very low IQ’s and SZ who have good adaptive skills/coping skills living in supported living pretty much independently. IQ doesn’t mean sh.t

I have a diagnosed an IQ of 69 ( WAIS - III ) I am deemed by a psychologist (i.e Doctor) to haver an intellectual disability and to lack capacity with with my finances. Yet I am here writing to you all. Online IQ scores are so pointless.

I wouldn’t say online tests are uniformly useless,but undoubtedly some are purely out to make lots of money. Such tests will give you a high score come what may.

Others will make an honest, if sometimes flawed(IQ deflated or inflated), attempt to assess your IQ. Xavier Jouve was a psychometrician(he’s gone off the radar the last few years, May not still be in the profession) who created several good tests. Another is Dr Greg A Grove, an educational consultant trained in psychometrics. It is probably best to see IQ in terms of a range ,+/- 5 for example, rather than a single figure.

@firemonkey I can see alot of thought went into this post. I appreciate your intelligence especially around your learnings around IQ and ASD. I do find it difficult to understand sometimes but I really like reading your posts. You are an asset here! And I’m not arse kissing. I mean it, since I’d joined you always supported and been kind to me.

1 Like

That may be due as much to the way I present things , than any shortcoming on your part.

1 Like

I think your whole premise is wrong. I think if schizophrenics were smarter on average we would hear about it a lot. Don’t you think that if that was true that most doctors would tell the schizophrenic patient that he’s more intelligent than most of the average population? After 40 years with schizophrenia and seeing many different psychiatrists not one of them had told me that us schizophrenics are smarter. Never mind myself, no psychiatrists have said as a whole we are smarter. By the way, I ain’t no genius but I do pretty well at community college. Also, as an aside, is your theory saying that lots of smart people become schizophrenic? Or are you saying that having the actual disease of schizophrenia automatically makes a person smarter? I just think if people with schizophrenia are smarter it would get a lot of attention. But if it’s true it would seem like common knowledge.

2 Likes

I don’t think you should discredit yourself @firemonkey I have a tendency to fast read and n my life here I go into fight mode very easily as it takes me awhile to understand things.

Medical literature (as far as I know) says if someone is diagnosed with schizophrenia and they happen to have a high IQ they have one thing in common, they recover better or have a better prognosis for functionality in terms of schizophrenia.

Elyn Saks and John Nash probably fit into this category, but there’s a caveat. Nash had the backing of Princeton because of his early promise before diagnosis. But Elyn worked her way up with less known support. (Again, as far as I know).

I think you just want to feel superior in some way.

Intelligence varies from individual to individual,

Regardless of schizophrenia.

2 Likes

Growing up in Miami, Elyn was cocooned in a pleasant, upper-middle-class home. Her father, an accomplished attorney, and her stay-at-home mother were loving with Elyn and her two brothers, and the family enjoyed a happy and relatively normal life.

https://news.usc.edu/20733/Law-and-Disorder/

I don’t think that can be discounted re why she has done so well.

1 Like

I’m still ready to read anybodies explanation on peoples thoughts of IQ. I only have my own which is limited…

I’m just bright enough to get into trouble.

1 Like

I’m bright enough to know that sometimes I need help.

2 Likes

I honestly think you should continue to seek help with your finances. It’s perfectly okay to get an assist where you need it.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories , instead of theories to suit facts .”

-Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)

I used to do calculus and differential equations in my head and read at a ‘normal speed’. Now I struggle with mental math and read at 100wpm (maybe). My step-father is a reading savant/synesthetic or w/e like dyslexia. He reads at 2500-3000wpm and sees in pictures (the whole page at once…). I’m good at math but have no clue what my iq is or was or whatever. It doesn’t matter. I’m confident it’s above 100 and less so above 110. Probably 120.

I did one of those high iq tests and scored only 105 so there’s that. Lowest score I got online was 90s approx. Highest 140s. But you can score higher by learning the tests and retaking them. I heard I’m generally smart but no genius. Maybe gifted, perhaps. I’m fine with that.

I’m pleased with my relative improvement at non-verbal/spatial tests. I’m much better at pattern recognition than mental rotation though. I’ve had several scores in the mid/late 120s and one of 130. Those are via tests not adjusted for age. Fluid IQ starts to decline at quite a young age. Part of the improvement may be down to having a better,less defeatist, attitude.

My PDoc told me after his 30 years of experience I’m the smartest SZ he’s ever met. But I agree maybe SZs aren’t usually smarter.
Many do go to college and even become professors like Elyn Saks.

1 Like