Struggling with lost potential / "what could have been"

Just a bit of a vent really.

Every so often like today I get a bit down about what could have been.

BUT I don’t blame schizophrenia completely.

There were other factors in the mix that kind of made a negative difference to my fate. But I feel like I’ve been robbed of my life. Because of the harsh realities of life other than schizophrenia.

Anyway like I said. Just venting…

12 Likes

I totally understand. I’m so sorry :heart:

1 Like

You’ve always been calm and reasoned on this forum. Scratching the affliction, I could see you as a Leader in some capacity in real life…perhaps as a first responder or teacher.

1 Like

Sza really ruined my life. I lost everything to it. But, I was one of the lucky ones. I ended up with a great life in spite of losing everything. It really is an overly dramatic story. But, I’ve been through hell and back to put it concisely.

2 Likes

You just got to accept and move on and make the best of what you got…

You gotta play the cards you were dealt is how i normally view life.

1 Like

Well I can relate to this. I too feel like I’ve been robbed of my life, but I can’t say it’s due to sz. Some of it is my own stupidity.

1 Like

I keep on believeing I’m going to get my old life back. It’s all I have.

1 Like

I feel like schizophrenia robs us of a picture perfect life because, humans are social creatures and this illness takes it away from us. And by becoming less social we can’t reach a full potential.

2 Likes

Life was easy and great before mental illness. I could have achieved a lot. I’m learning to be content now with what I have.

2 Likes

I think about this sort of thing everyday,

What could have been had I chosen another path.

Its a waste of time and energy.

I understand the need to vent though,

So let it out.

1 Like

I am satisfied with how things have turned out for me. Things could have gone worse.

2 Likes

Just be patient and wait for the singularity and will be fine.

2 Likes

I don’t think I had any “lost potential”. In fact the drugs kept me from being potentially dead, imprisoned, or committed to an asylum at a younger age even though they didn’t make me “normal”. I was created to fail.

1 Like

I guess it sucks if you had potential and lost it due to illness. It’s so far back when I first started getting ill that it’s hard to remember if I had much.

1 Like

You are an inspiration to me @SkinnyMe!!

I try not to think about what could have been and just focus on doing the best I can with what I’ve got. I have lost some things over the years that were meaningful to me but it is what it is. Nothing I can do about it now.

2 Likes

reminds me of a tune

1 Like

I was trying to go to Madrid University as an exchange student when I got pregnant with my daughter (I was raped). I passed my Spanish proficiency exam and everything.

2 Likes

cry it out everhopeful even if it is without tears and in silence. sz turns lots of us into tragedy histories.

best of luck in waking up to a better morning tomorrow. judy

1 Like

I’ve done a lot with my life in spite of having sza, as I’ve demonstrated on other threads. I won’t be retiring at age 67 from nursing, like I had planned, but that is ok. I just retired from it very early. I had a chance to do a lot of other things, because I wasn’t in nursing. And that’s alright by me.

1 Like