Struggling with lost potential / "what could have been"

I feel the same here.
I had alot of potential in my early life. I learned Japanese in highschool, I even took a college Japanese class in eleventh grade. I became an EMT at age 18 and was an EMT for 6 years. I really liked helping people but it was only volunteer.
I then worked at a lab for 6 years which was okay. It paid decent and had great benefits. It was after this that what I know now to be when my symptoms started. During this time even though I was hearing voices I still managed to get 2 college degrees. I just believed what I heard and I thought people really hated me.
But since I have been diagnosed(2 years) I have not worked and still am living with family.
I am finally getting my life back on track alittle bit. I am soon going to try out assistive work. I can not wait to start!! The only thing I accomplished in these two years is I have learned to somewhat cope with my symptoms and I volunteered at a law office for a year.
I finally have social supports in place(support groups) that I can go to to socialize and talk about my issues. These groups have been a lifesaver for me in the last year.

1 Like

@Loke, Do you know if it is possible for older people to be exchange students? I would love to go to Spain, or Mexico to be a Spanish student. I’m 59 right now. It would probably be better for me to go to Mexico because I take depot injections every two weeks and I have dual citizenship in Mexico and the States. I would qualify for the free Mexican health care there.

I don’t know really. Are you enrolled in a college now? The college counselor should know what to do.

@SkinnyMe, there are always study abroad programs. I was in my 30’s and I still qualified.

1 Like

I would go to Mexico :mexico: bc you are a citizen.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.