Schizophrenia: L-carnosine improves negative symptoms

I take beta alanine which is the cheapest and best way to get carnosine into your body.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Sports-Beta-Alanine-Endurance-750-mg-120-Veg-Capsules/13949

I stopped taking it and my negative symptoms increased. So I’m back taking it.

I only take 1 capsule.

12 Likes

Funny story out of me…

I signed into my NoLongerLonely account which makes your profile there go to the top of search lists… and I received a message from a woman. It was brief but she introduced her name, and must be well versed in a scope of mental health issues… because she asked if “I struggle with negatives?”.

I answered in the affirmative and then “heard crickets”!

Still I think I needed that. I am now even more ready to tackle my negatives. (She had major depression).

I happen to be “flying blind” on supplements; I only tried sarcosine years back and I don’t think it did anything… but I may have to restart/revisit that simply because it’s the most well known?

1 Like

I ordered some because it sounds interesting. I’ve never heard of it before. It got very good reviews so I may as well try it.

It’s meant to help with negatives from risperidone, and I’m on risperidone so may as well give it a shot.

1 Like

I thought this might be some variant of L-Carnitine which I understand it isn’t. I am taking L-Carnitine because it is proven that anti-psychotics deplete it from the body. However it’s hard to measure what it does for me. Probably because I am on a regiment of supplements.

1 Like

It’s meant to be very beneficial for the stomach as well. I’ve always suffered from stomach issues so I hope this helps

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

What was the dose of L-carnosine used in this study @everhopeful ? I couldn’t access the full article.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use L-carnosine directly. I tried it and it didn’t work out too well. Beta Alanine converts to L-carnosine in your body and is more effective (and cheaper). L-carnosine is pretty expensive.

Here’s another link to the article

The patients were randomly assigned to l-carnosine (2 gr/day in two divided doses) or placebo for eight weeks.

2 grams is a lot.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’ve just ordered some Beta Alanine from Amazon.

1 Like

I tried 3 grams of beta alanine once I was soooooo itchy and red from the histamine reaction

2 Likes

I only take 750mg(one capsule) and it does the trick. 1500mg (2 capsules) is like a horse tranquilizer so I take that as a PRN. Never took 3000mg.

1 Like

Mine turned up from amazon. I’ll see how I feel in an hour or so.

4 Likes

Like I said direct L-carnosine didn’t work out for me but beta Alanine did. Best of luck with it.

2 Likes

Yea I had to get this one because it’s the one used in risperidone trial.

I’ll try your one in the near future.

1 Like

It’s lifted my mood. I think a lot clearer. Good stuff

2 Likes

Keep us informed as the week goes on. What dose did you take ?

500mg

I don’t feel as pissed off

2 Likes

I can have better conversations with people on this. I feel more confident. Mental energy has increased. I’m not as annoyed at life and tasks don’t use as much energy.

This is day 1. It could be placebo effect. But yeh I’m more confident and sociable.

3 Likes

The stuff is brilliant.

2 Likes