Yes, I know some of you think it’s the meds. Without the illness, we wouldn’t have taken the meds, so it shouldn’t matter for the poll.
- 50% or more
- My cognition has improved since I got the illness.
- I’m the Messiah. My cognition is perfect.
It’s really taken a huge toll on me. It’s made me not feel like me more than anything else. I hate myself with how slowly I think and how I have a hard time understanding basic things now.
I’m guessing 30%. I don’t really know. Maybe it has effected my ability to think in short quick spurts more than other areas of cognition.
Idk if it’s the meds but I struggle talking fluently
The main thing for me is losing vocabulary(I’m, a songwriter). I feel dumber everyday.
I’m off meds rn but it was the same with them. It’s hard for me to think or focus sometimes but I’m also ADHD so I can’t blame sz exclusively.
I had my cognition measured, I actually scored quite highly to my surprise. It turns out that while my short term memory isn’t what I’d like it to be, it’s no worse than the average individual. Overall, I’ll function better than 91% of the neurotypicals I’m placed in a room with.
I still have about 70% of my head space available to me at the moment. The other 30% I’d rather have removed as it doesn’t always make itself useful
I think I’m just as clever at the things I’m clever at , and a little dumber at the things I’m dumb at
thingsre mixed up up there, its no huge big deal but i’m often happy and can do little things
the memory is not good, i cant do work school right now, as for work maybe simple repetitive things might happen, though i cant focus sometimes and need novelty to remain engaged
I feel the psychosis has mostly dulled my memory. But it could also be my untreated sleep disorder doing that. Most likely it is a combination of the both
It got worse then it got better. I don’t think putting a percentage number on how it is now makes any sense, actually.
what do you mean by cognitive…I ahev a negative symptom of poverty of thought/speech…is that cognitive
I used to be really good at math and computer science. Now it seems that these things take a lot of mental effort. I can’t think as quickly and I have a hard time keeping focus. It seems the only thing I’m good for is doing mindless activities like watching TV and YouTube videos. I don’t know what the heck this mental block is. Things that require intense focus or complex thought are lost on me. I can’t tell if it’s cognitive or due to a lack of drive though.
My IQ was high enough before the illness that a loss in cognition didn’t affect me too much. My real problem is how lazy these medications have made me. I can barely get out of bed
I wanted to pick the option “I’m the messiah, 40%”. But it only let me pick that I’m the messiah for 0%…
Same here. I do continually try to exercise my noodle by learning new things, reading new things, and so on. I believe this helps.
I notice a large decline. No idea how much - 30%?
For some things, not much changed.
For some things others don’t really notice. E.g. my memory was excellent, one of my major gifts. Now it is perhaps slightly below average. Which is good enough for most people to think I’m normal.
For some things others do notice, because I went from “below average, but able to camouflage” to “horrible”. Like coherence (?)(going from a big bag of details to the bigger picture) and executive function. People do notice there is something off here, when I forget to e-mail them, forget to pay a bill, forget an appointment, etcetera.
I was pretty sharp. Usually the “smart” one in the room. Now I’m below average. It’s hard getting used to my new digs. But it’s taught me a valuable lesson on the important things in life like compassion and love. So I’m dumb, what can I do?
Oh, you’re so NOT dumb. I’ve got you tagged as one of the brighter people on the site. Give yourself some credit.
I chose “I am the messiah” option. Haha.
Seriously now, my cognitive skills have decreased