Most influential musician/band over the last 60 years

Which musician/band do you think has had the most influence (effected music/society/culture) over the last 60 years?

• Elvis Presley
  • Tupac
  • The Beatles
  • Bob Dylan
  • Elton John
  • Led Zeppelin
  • David Bowie
  • Rolling Stones
  • Michael Jackson
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

I’d have to say kraftwerk. They were the band that were the first to go all electronic. They influenced everyone else to give up the guitar etc.

3 Likes

I voted for Bob Dylan:

3 Likes

I dated a guy that looked just like Bob Dylan,

People would tell him all the time and he would get so annoyed because he though Bob Dylan was ugly.

Obviously, I don’t.

Very talented man.

2 Likes

Good thread!

It’s hard for me to vote, really.

The Beatles have influenced so many musicians and genres of music.

The Rolling Stones influenced a lot of rock and roll guys to learn the blues and go back to the roots of rock and roll.

Dylan brought the protest song to every household record player.

And Bowie is a legend.

My head is spinning now LOL!

4 Likes

My pick is the godfathers of heavy.

3 Likes

I got this album on vinyl and CD. Love it!

I’m partial to The Wizard and that song with the acoustic intro, I forgot the title of it hahaha.

2 Likes

I voted other for The Velvet Underground as they influenced all those who would later make alternative music and break free from the boundaries of conventional music. Very influential to a lot of quality art music and way ahead of their time.

4 Likes

Not sure if there would have been The Beatles without Buddy Holly…but I suppose @77nick77 would know better than me.

What do you think, Nick?

Sure, Buddy Holly had a great influence on the Beatles. They were impressed by Buddy Holly because he could sing while playing guitar and even wrote his own songs. But he was just one of many. The Beatles were even influenced by “girl bands” among others.
Their trademark screams were courtesy of Little Richard for example.

Funny enough, Buddy Holly even influenced their name. They liked “The Crickets” for a bands name, they liked a band named after an insect, and tried to copy him and came up with the Beatles.

2 Likes

Cool info there @77nick77!

:+1:

1 Like

So you’re saying kraftwerk too then @77nick77 :smile:

1 Like

The musical World was never the same after Green Jelly played the song “Three Little Pigs”.

I saw Kraftwerk at Coachella. Legendary. What a wonderful life I had

1 Like

Nirvana.

I definitely wouldn’t say Michael Jackson. That man is a monster. His work should be wiped from history for what he did.

That being said, the Beatles for sure, unless that’s too old. Really there hasn’t been a band or musician since then that has had the same impact, or had so many number one hits. Most of my favorite music is scattered through multiple bands and singers.

The subject of this post says Most Influential Band

Not most hits.

And no, my kids and me absolutely love Michael Jackson. Always have.

You should watch Leaving Neverland.

For Rap, I’d go with Rakim, Nas, 2Pac and Eminem.

For Alternative, I’d say Limp Bizkit.

For Rock, probably Metallica and Nirvana.

Pop, I’d say Michael Jackson and The Weeknd.

I almost said “Bob Dylan”. He was influential too.