Metformin - the Anti-diabetic drug slows aging and lengthens lifespan, animal study suggests

More good news on Metformin - the medication that has been identified as a good medication to help people with schizophrenia avoid weight gain:

1 Like

Metformin causes a slight increase in the number of harmful oxygen molecules. We found that this makes cells stronger and extends their healthy lifespan."
That doesn`t make sense to me.
It would be great if we could find a natural way to help people with MI–but I do not mean vitamins in plastic.

I agree - but until then some well-proven, inexpensive (metformin is generic so is a few dollars a month for supplies) and well tolerated - is pretty good. Heck - I may try it so I can live a little longer. (and maybe it will slim down my avatar that people are commenting on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great news, I have diabetes and I take this Metformin daily. Maybe I live next 40 years :smile:

‘Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death’ lecture.

1 Like

There are early studies showing diabetics on metformin are less likely to get certain cancers. There are trials of metformin and cancer.
I take 500 mg a day in the hope it might be preventative. Some doctors will only prescribe it to diabetics or pre-diabetics. It can be prescribed for metabolic syndrome including obesity.

1 Like

I really want to try this. But I don’t know if my doctor would let me. I could always go to a different doctor if one says no. I hope it works. I take Seroquel and lamotragine. and they both cause me to gain weight at a very extreme speed and amount.

1 Like