Will schizophrenia medication reduce lifespan for years?

I searched the Wikipedia and found out that the average lifespan of a schizophrenic is shorted up to 10 to 25 years. Is this real? Any opinion?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s true. A lot of the reduction in life is due to comorbid diseases often inflicted by antipsychotics such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Another reason is the high rate of suicide in schizophrenics.

6 Likes

This is true - for a number of reasons. cigarette smoking, lack of exercise, poor diet, and frequently doctors don’t check for issues like diabetes and heart disease, etc as quickly as they should in people who have schizophrenia.

There are many reasons - many that you have some control over.

Here is a past discussion on this topic:

also - some hope that some cheap inexpensive medications may help turn this around:

and another conversation:

and how researchers are focused on this issue:

1 Like

A long unmedicated schizophrenic life is worse than one that is short but treated.

2 Likes

I talked to my psychiatrist and he said he has medicated schizophrenia patients who are over 80 years old.

1 Like

The truth is that you’re likely to live longer if you take medications - says the research - so you get the best of both worlds:

2 Likes

I have heard of this happening, it’s probably more due to the schizophrenic person being less able to take care of themselves than the APs actually shortening their lifespan.

One interesting thing that I’ve heard is that schizophrenics are completely immune to arthritis, we will never get it in our lives!

1 Like

Better check your sources carefully. I have paranoid schizophrenia and I have arthritis in my lower back.

1 Like

John Nash died at age 86.

4 Likes

I’m not anti meds at all, but for those of you taking meds, be sure to keep up with your health! My dad’s cousin’s wife had schizophrenia and her medications destroyed her liver over a long period of time (I forget what meds she was on) and she died from liver failure because they didn’t catch it until it was too late. So just make sure you’re getting regular checkups so if anything is wrong they can catch it in time

5 Likes

你好,我也是马来西亚的。可以交个朋友吗?

1 Like

Some are because of genetic and side effect of medication. My grandmother has heart problems and my father side has diabetic and blood pressure. Either one is gonna affect my health.

None worser than suicidal thoughts.

As doctors they are inspiring. Like mine, my doc kept on asking me questions and trying out to find out the cause of my illness. Nice doc I have.

1 Like

Well that would not be a problem for me because I can take care of myself. Just that I need to take medication to keep me conscious and normal.

There’s a saying I guess

Who is John Nash?

Liver failure is very terrifying. I can only work harder to maintain my health. Yes I did regular checkups and prescribed with Olanzapine as my daily medication. A little side effect but still going strong.

1 Like

The antipsychotics have taken a lot of physical strength away from me. They tend to do that. There is this one guy at the assisted living center where I live. I was in the hospital with him. He was a real wild man. Now he has been on medications for about ten years. The reduction of his physical vigor is incredible. He is way over weight and he moves in slow motion. It is almost like he is in a walking coma. He moved so much better when he didn’t take med’s. The med’s have got to have shortened his life span.

2 Likes

My aunt was schizophrenic and died at 63 to stomach cancer. Maybe it was something to do with meds she had during many decades. I do not know?