I've got to get a grip on dieting / calorie counting

Who’s tried calorie counting? Any tips to share?

I keep failing at it.

If it were easy, we’d all be thin I guess.

3 Likes

Nothing happens in a day or month. Just value healthy lifestyle if you. Can and be happy

2 Likes

I’ve been counting my calories for the past year. I eat between 1500-1600 per day using the Spark People website. By doing that and working out every other day I’ve lost 35 pounds. It’s been really tough but I’m happy. I’m taking a break right now for a week. I’m eating 2000 per day to maintain so I can eat a little more. Do you have someone that can help keep you accountable? My mom helps me a lot. If she sees me eating something out of character she says something. It’s nice. I also have a friend on Spark People who is losing weight also and she helps me out a lot too. Something else that I can’t do without is my food scale. I got it several years ago so I’m not sure but I think it was 25 bucks on amazon. Worth every penny. Best wishes to you! You can talk to me anytime also if you need some help.

3 Likes

Thanks @melmel7 . Maybe I could do something like you’re doing ; take “breaks” and eat just to maintain weight before lowering it again.

That’s something I hadn’t considered before.

Great idea !

2 Likes

Oh I’m so glad to have helped!

1 Like

I count calories every day. I measure and weigh everything I put in my mouth. I track the calories with MyFitnessPal. It’s helping me a lot. Since May, I’ve lost 58 pounds. I also exercise 5 days a week

4 Likes

58 pounds is amazing!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m still going strong too! When I lose 2 more pounds, I will no longer be obese! Yay!

3 Likes

do you make your own food or do you rely on processed microwave meals to fulfil your calories?

1 Like

I’m never going to make my own food !

So it’s microwave or frying pan. On occasion I have used an actual oven to cook something already prepared by the supermarket though.

1 Like

I went to my primary doctor and Im doing labs for my yearly blood panel and acid reflux. I gained 24lbs after I started taking mirtazapine. I have to cut out all junk food. Lay off the sugar.

1 Like

Ok, but you can still make quick healthier microwave meals.

Buy canned ratatouille, microwave flavoured rices and or microwave supergrains. Grill your meat or fish. Dinner can be cooked in 10 minutes.

These are filling options and don’t involve cooking per se.

Buy an air fryer and cook your meat/fish in that at a fraction of the calories.

I cook a baked potato in the microwave for 10 minutes (don’t forget to fork it first.) then put it in the air fryer for 10 minutes and it crisps the skin. you can roast vegetables in 10-15 minutes in an air fryer too.

1 Like
1 Like

I think Im going to start using honey for sweet. Research about a new diet.

2 Likes

I actually have a calorie counter app believe it or not :joy:

Some people swear by myfitnesspal though. But I tried it and found it to be cumbersome :frowning:

1 Like

Personally I don’t like calorie counting, I have never been on a diet but being almost anorexic for several years I learned very well tricks to lose weight.

My tricks are: don’t drink your calories, cut down carbs, eat veggies every meal (fibers make you feel full), exercise, don’t eat till you’re full (stop at 70%-80%), consider intermittent fasting, skip meals.

1 Like

Thanks that might be an option to keep the variety in my diet.

1 Like

for a few weeks when I was on a 1200 calorie diet I paid for healthy microwave meals at around 600 calories a meal. It was with musclefood.com but it is more expensive.

1 Like

If you want something very healthy that you don’t have to cook I suggest canned legumes.

2 Likes

Maybe I could buy a vegetable steamer. I’ve used them before. Thanks @zeno

2 Likes