I've got to get a grip on dieting / calorie counting

I’m on a medically supervised strict diet to treat my health issues.
I’m seeing this one MD who specializes in obesity and metabolic related disorders.

She is also a nutritionist.

I am following an Anti inflammatory low carb diet based on the Mediterranean diet.

No fried foods
No added sugar
Very little fat
Very little sodium

It mainly consists of healthy foods like vegetables and fruits, no red meat.

I’m also counting my calories and try to consume less than 1500 calories daily.

I’ve been losing weight but very slowly.

2 Likes

How can you do a low carb diet with little fat?
The Mediterranean diet is not low carb, its definitively lower carb than the modern Western one but carbs are the main source of calories.

2 Likes

I’m not exactly on the typical Mediterranean diet.

I’m eating carbs but low on the glycemic index.

I’m really on a low carb anti inflammatory diet.

I am allowed some good fats like olive oil but only a little bit.

I can also consume low fat dairy and meats like lean chicken and fish.

1 Like

Geez. That is strict. Best of luck with it @Wave .

3 Likes

Yes it’s very difficult but it is getting a bit easier.
She is a good nutritionist.

Thanks @everhopeful

2 Likes

I’f you’re counting calories my fitness pal is what you want.
I’ve also hear ‘lose it’ is another good calorie counter app

1 Like

Getting enough Sleep and eating enough fiber seem to be my biggest obstacles to losing weight. I don’t get enough sleep because I am constantly dealing with my dad’s and wife’s health problems. Fiber is something I can control better though and I started eating green veggies and high fiber cereals.

If you aren’t getting enough sleep though I have found it’s almost impossible to restrict your calories much.

It’s good to start with myfitnesspal… I used it for two and a half years straight and learned a lot about my eating habits. Eventually though I just got tired of entering everything in and switched to simple food diary apps, including ones I designed myself.

1 Like

I tried something different this time around in addition to tracking, and that’s really focusing on what Im eating as well as how much I’m eating. I use weight watchers, which has some issues, but I will be ready to not track at all relatively soon, because I’m learning which foods I can eat and how much.

When I was just tracking and not as focused on food quality, I wasn’t losing weight, but I started really focusing on eating raw, whole, unprocessed foods, and massively cutting down on processed foods and I started losing. I am down 27 pounds. I track, but its usually an after thought now. More of a way to reflect than as a way to guide.

1 Like

I think if you don’t like MyFitnessPal, and like another app better, by all means, use the app you like! Whatever works for you is your best bet. Find what you can be successful at and do that. It’s long term success you should aim for, so it’s really important that you do whatever you can do long term

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.