Schizophrenia.com

Is it worth it to come off meds to lose weight?

Whenever I reduce my dose I just eat one meal a day instead of 4-5 and last time I lost 2-3kg in a 2 days.

Seriously these meds are slowly killing me, I gained 160lb since being on them. I will have a heart attack. I am starting to think that having psychosis is better since it doesn’t kill me.

4 Likes

I was 135-140lb before being put on these sz meds.

1 Like

Maybe you have a different psychosis to everyone else then. Psychosis generally means you’re a danger to yourself or others.

You don’t sound happy on your meds. So change them. Avoid Abilify try rexulti. You were previously prescribed it and never tried it.

1 Like

Won’t it still cause weight gain? I gained 70lb on Abilify then when I switched to Risperdal I gained another 80-90lb.

I really don’t know what to advice you other than maybe trying a different med… i don’t advice tapering off though, look what happened to me when i tried that!

2 Likes

To be honest, I’ve gained 40 lbs since getting OFF my meds! I only take what I have to. I’ve even changed my diet and don’t eat out for every meal. I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a light lunch, and usually chicken with some sort of veggies for dinner. I avoid bread and sweet drinks. And here I am, up that much weight. Yes, I don’t exercise like I should, but I didn’t before either. So getting off your meds won’t necessarily help. I wouldn’t use that as my reason.

1 Like

Is it possible long time? I don’t know which one (s) but extensive med changes have gotten me away from the false hunger that came with Clozaril and Zyprexa.

2 Likes

I still take Zyprexa.

1 Like

Only one way to find out…

2 Likes

@Aziz I agree with you that anti-psychotics affect athletic performance which I assume also affects sexual performance as well.

1 Like

Okay, yes, I totally agree. Off meds, I’m all revved up! On meds, meh.

1 Like

I love it when people spell the word “lose” correctly! It always makes my day lol. Also, if I see one more unnecessary apostrophe in a professional publication, I’m going to lose my ■■■■.

I don’t think coming off them completely is always an option, but I did lower my dose and lost 10 pounds. I think we should be on the lowest dose that works, but it’s really important to monitor your symptoms so they don’t come back.

4 Likes

I notice this so often on the forum. Someone saying “loose” instead of “lose”. I actually thought about making a thread about it but didn’t want to offend anyone. It is probably the most misused word on the forum.

2 Likes

I get that some might want to rhyme it with “choose” and the fact that English has inconsistent pronunciations can trip up people for whom English is a second language, but in my opinion if you are aware of the word “loose” (as in my shoe laces are loose) you don’t really have any excuse to mess it up.

2 Likes

Don’t louse fate in us! Jk :relaxed:

4 Likes

I’ve seen people that have English as their first language use it that way too.

2 Likes

Ah ■■■■ here we go again (gta character voice)

English is my 3rd language :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That’s really impressive!

3 Likes

You need to really make a case for your doctor.

Sometimes when I see my doctor I have written her a letter with all my concerns that I just hand over to her so she can read it, because it’s not always easy to remember everything you want to get off your chest when coming into a session. That way you might put things into context. Lack of motivation, weight gain, side effects, what your goal is with changing medication etc…

1 Like