Can you lose weight on antipsychotics?

I tried switching meds and even tried discontinuing for weight loss and nothing happened. I wanted to know if anyone had experiences with weight loss while on antipsychotics. I’ve been on them for a year. I joined weight watchers for the last two weeks but haven’t been very disciplined but now I’m going to get serious. What are some weight loss stories?

2 Likes

What antipsychotic are you on?

I weighed 94 kg due to aps. And im a woman. Thats about 190 lbs. Aps made me constantly hungry.

I started to jog 2 times a week…minimum 30 mins nonstop. I didnt run fast. I weighed 80 kgs…160 lbs after one winter. I was very pleased. And i was taking aps like before…alot.

4 Likes

It’s definitely possible, just a bit more difficult.

5 Likes

I have loss weight while being on antipsychotics before, but it is hard work because I have to eat less than I did before and it makes me feel hungry most of the time.
At the moment I eat 1 meal a day with only fruit as snacks and zero calorie drinks.
I hate it when I keep to 1000 calories a day and don’t lose any weight at the end of the week.
If I have a lot of spare time with nothing to do, it can be tempting to have snacks, so I don’t have any fattening snacks in the house.

3 Likes

I’m on three different AP’s. And I lost 50 lbs. to get down to my ideal body weight. I did it. And you can too. All I did was count my calories everyday, refrain from drinking my calories, stay away from diet pop, exercise everyday, and weigh myself weekly. It helps to use a calorie counting app.

4 Likes

Started off on Invega for 8 months and then switched to Haldol for the last 3 months. Now I’m going to switch to Geodon.

I gained 30 kilos on Olanzapine. It has taken me almost three years to lose 15 kilos on Latuda and Haldol. I am now on Abilify and watching weight closely. It is possible

I lost 58 lbs while on Resperidone. The Atkins Diet. It was challenging but on the Atkins, I never went hungry.

2 Likes

I starting out weighing 150 at 5’10", then went up to over 250 lbs after starting APs. I got down to 157 lbs (currently at 170- I’m working on that). It is easy to say that it’s possible to lose weight, though. We aren’t fighting your fight. You may feel insatiable hunger. That’s really, really hard to fight, especially if you get hunger pains from it. Sometimes you just give in. And sometimes (no matter what people may say), you gain weight no matter what you eat. I know- my diet never changed, but I gained 100 lbs. When I lost the weight, I wasn’t trying to lose it. I wasn’t on a diet or counting calories, so I can’t offer you advice on how to do it; I just know that it’s possible.

The best thing you can do is try and don’t give up, even if you suffer setbacks- however many setbacks that may be. Try to start with exercising, even if it’s only a 20 minute walk a day. Start lowering your calorie intake. If you plan to lose 1 lb. a week, plan your calories according. I’m on www.myfitnesspal.com, and for my height/weight, I need to eat 1500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. I was blatantly honest when I did my assessment and listed myself as sedentary and not planning to exercise, so it took those factors into account. Why don’t you look into it to get an idea on what you need to be eating? It’s also a great way to keep a food diary and track your progress. If you don’t like that site, I’m sure there are others, and maybe one of them will be better suited to your needs.

Good luck!

2 Likes

When I was on Abilify I gained 20kilos. I thought it was ridiculous and stressful to be on a diet and binge-eat at the same time so I switched meds.
I stopped binge eat and have lost 10kilos without stress. I don’t want to live with unpleasant side effects so I did my best to find a much much better one, and I found one.

2 Likes

That’s because you are doing it all wrong. If you don’t eat enough calories you won’t lose weight either. It’s a pretty big misconception about losing weight. Most people think the less I eat the more I’ll lose. Which actually seems to make sense. However, that’s just not the case. You can search on google how much calories you need to maintain. Then subtract like 300-500 calories from that. That will help you lose weight. As I already said, starving yourself doesn’t work.

5 Likes

If you cutout sugar completely you might have a shot. That includes orange juice. I can’t give up sugar. It’s to hard.

Doing what wrong, I didn’t say I was doing anything.

If you look up at the top right corner of each post you’ll see who the posts are in response to. My post was in response to simon.

1 Like

I lost a lot of weight on Geodon. I worked out frequently and watched what I ate.

How did you lose the weight and how long did it take? I read so much about losing 10 pounds in 6 months which is ridiculous

I’m switching to Geodon soon hopefully it’s more weight neutral, thank you

1 Like

Oh okay thanks!

I won’t do drastic cuts in my diet because once you incorporate that food back into your diet, you gain all the weight back. Realistically I’m going to eat sugar again in my life.

1 Like