Is it worth it to come off meds to lose weight?

He didn’t want to change my meds until I threatened him with finding a new psychiatrist which I did. The new psychiatrist sent me back to my original psychiatrist and told him to prescribe me Clozapine. The original pdoc told me he’s against trying Clozapine as it will cause much more weight gain but if I insist he can prescribe it. I refused because of the weekly blood tests.

1 Like

Ya maybe you should go back on abilify for a while. Maybe one year abilify one year rispiridone alternations or something. You’re going to get an enlarged heart from just lying around all day. Consult doctor but do something.

1 Like

It helped me actually. It really depends on your situation.

1 Like

I take 600 mgs of Seroquel, and lost about 100 lbs over two years by exercising and eating a healthy diet. Thus you can lose weight taking APs.

You have said that you’re in bed all day and eat junk food. Never heard of that weight loss regime. Not trying to be mean, but you need to take action if you truly want to lose weight.

I believe in you. I believe you can lose weight, but you have to really, really want it.

2 Likes

Thats because of meds and negative symptoms.

1 Like

This only seems to work when lower my dose or on Abilify. I was 100lb less on Abilify and was going to the gym 4x a week 1-2hrs sessions, 45 min cardio, weight lifting the rest.

1 Like

Yea, I need to ask my family Dr to refer me to a psychiatrist as I don’t have one. I need to try Rexulti, maybe it won’t have the same side effects as Abilify.

1 Like

Not to derail the thread, but I’m curious. Do you ever SPEAK English Aziz? Or do you only type it?

2 Likes

Try going to a nurse practitioner rather than a psychiatrist. If you are stable you dont need a psychiatrist, and nurse practitioners usually have a doctor who advises them.

1 Like

For some unknown reason, I gained a ■■■■■■■ of weight on Caplyta, which you’re not supposed to. So I’m back on Geodon. Now if I start watching my calories and exercise, the weight will come off. I don’t have the insane desire to eat constantly anymore.

Try Geodon.

2 Likes

THere is no nurse practitioners here. Only psychiatrist and when you’re stable they send you back to family Dr and tell you to let him refer you again to a pdoc if needed.

I remember you saying that you have been on a low carb diet before and you lost some weight. Try to give it a chance again with the low carb diet and try not to eat huge meals even though you are hungry. I know it is really hard. But try to force yourself. In the end it might work. I don’t recommend changing or lowering the dose of your meds though.

2 Likes

Only type it now and for years. My best friend who with I used to speak english left me in 2014.

2 Likes

Services offered by specialized nurse practitioners | Gouvernement du Québec (quebec.ca)

1 Like

I was on lower dose meds when I did the diet, 4mg risperidone. Now I am on 6mg and its too hard to maintain a diet.

1 Like

There isn’t psychiatric ones, otherwise my psychiatrist would have referred me to one instead of sending me back to my family Dr.

I want to try it but my last 2 pdocs refused prescribing it. The latest pdoc said she doesn’t prescribe it to her patients.

My Nurse Practitioner prescribes me antipsychotics. Maybe it’s different in Quebec.

2 Likes

I think my safest option now is waiting for Vraylar. The unsafe options are Clozapine or Rexulti. For Geodon I need to find a new pdoc again who is willing to prescribe it.

Did she give a reason why?

1 Like