Is death the end of story?

@anon4362788… that makes me think of a Dutch story of a writer called Toon Tellegen. It is about a squirrel and an ant. They are fantasizing about the world being endless. Then they bump on a wall. After the wall there is nothing. Nothing at all. The squirrel is disappointed. He says it is yet another thing that disappoints and thinks of all the bad things in his life. The ant looks around to his world, the trees, the flowers, and thinks “If there is nothing beyond that wall, then this here is everything!”. He smiles and is content with what he has.

I do believe there is more. But if you dont, i guess the attitude of the ant is best. :slight_smile:

I’m preety sure it is the end.
I was in a medication induce coma for a few days and there was nothing, not dreaming, not hearing, not seeing, not thinking. Nothing at all.
Its hard to explain but you simply don’t exist anymore, this is the hardest concept to ruminate (that we will become nothing at all, it’s scary I know but when the time come we will not know a thing, we purely stop existing)

When I woke up I was scared and screaming and everything was confusing and new in the first seconds.
Then I quickly got down to earth.

1 Like

That doesn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know, @anon92220549. If people could experience life after death and then report back to us about it, we wouldn’t still be asking these questions.

I get that this feels real to you, but claiming you know nothing exists after death is as irrational as all other religious and spiritual beliefs.

So what’s you’re theory?

Look up on reddit the man who died twice for a few minutes, it says the exact thing.

And he was in clinical death

1 Like

I agree with @anon92220549 I didn’t want to bring this up, but I had a one of those “near death experiences” from a failed suicide attempt. I experienced something similar to a dream, then everything went black and then nothing. I woke up in the hospital not remembering how I got there. The doctor told me they’d lost me for 5 whole minutes. So I was pronounced dead. I don’t like bringing it up because it hurts to think about ending my existence over something so small.
When I say something similar to a dream I mean when you’re about to fall into a deep sleep. And you either wake up or you don’t somehow it didn’t matter if I did wake or not, I wasn’t aware of anything until I woke up.

1 Like

I died after a car wreck in 1992. Nothing.

1 Like

I dont think anybody can really know. There are people with all kinds of near death experiences - from nothing to bad to beautiful reunions with loved ones. I dont think we can know any such things with certainty. I believe there is more, but i dont know. Near death isnt the same as dead.

1 Like

To be honest, it doesn’t matter. You don’t know for sure until the end. Spend your life doing the best you can to be as happy and fulfilled as you can. Then there’s no reason for regrets.

1 Like

I think we come back here until we get it right, that this is one of the lowest levels of consciousness. I assume death would be more like astral projection and dreams.

2 Likes

I think our brain and bodies have some say in our sense of selves, but that there is a soul in us that is independent from that.
I don’t want to get religious, but I believe in reincarnation.
I refuse to believe death is the final destination, I just can’t. Such complex personalities, and they just disappear? There has go to be more to us than just neurons and serotonin.

I believe we keep coming back as different forms of beings until we’ve fulfilled our destiny or learned all we can learn, developed all we can develop. And then, our energy dissolves into the universe.

Energy never disappears, it just transfers.

1 Like

Without a religious description, I believe that your story continues on by anyone who remembers you.
Your friends will live on thinking about you and often remember you.
I’ve had my dad say a few words when we visited my grandfather’s grave, such as “hey dad, how are you doing in heaven?” and I realized that my grandfather’s story lives on in my dad.

4 Likes

I’m agnostic. I have several ideas about this but they aren’t relevant. I just wanted to point out that an absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

2 Likes

I hope not. My delusions tell me death isn’t the end. But the rational side has no clue. I believe I’ve died before, and the story didn’t end. I remember a place far away from this world, bright and warm, where everything was one and at peace. But that could of been my illness

I agree near death experience isn’t necessarily the same as actually dead. Maybe wen heart n brain stops there’s still some kind of activity going on for a bit until decay. N it is in this time where people experience ‘the lights’ etc wen there may be unmeasured activity still going in in the body.

1 Like

One problem with my having a belief in Heaven is that I welcome death. I thought about this and decided I don’t really want to die. So I am not going to focus on Heaven but on living instead.

2 Likes

Or the beginning of a new story?

Being in a coma doesn’t quite qualify as a Near Death Experience unless your heart stops for part of it. I mean a coma is just sleep, and can be as dreamless as any other sleep. That doesn’t tell anybody anything about the afterlife.

I read a lot about Near Death Experiences from people who were clinically dead, but a small portion of them are neutral (nothingness) or negative which bums me out and makes me question the whole thing. The positive ones really brighten my day and I always hope they are true.

1 Like

I was near death on lithium overdose.
After they pumped my stomach and put me to sleep I saw a light with all these smiling faces greeting me.
Maybe it was a dream, but God has told me that death is not the end.
I believe what he tells me, he has never led me astray, I speak with him all the time and it requires me only to think.
I know that I am alive only because he still wants me to be here
I have totalled 3 cars, the last one hit about 10 trees.
I walked away with only a few cuts.
I wish I had pictures of the car just to show you the damage that was caused to every area except the driver side area.
It was like a bubble of impenetrable energy was put around me in that crash.
I’m blessed to be here after all the crap that I have done.

3 Likes