I'm back yoyo dieting. Sorry I mean calorie counting. šŸ™„

Iā€™ve dusted off my calorie counting app.

ā€œIntuitiveā€ eating didnā€™t work out.

Calorie counting is like a fad diet that works. But you have to calorie count forever. Itā€™s like a form of meds.

Lets see how far I get this time before I throw in the towel. :persevere:

8 Likes

Iā€™m back on a diet too, man.

I know its not easy,

But maybe with some work we can be thinnerā€¦

:joy:

1 Like

Yes. Itā€™s going to be different this time. So I tell myself ā€¦

1 Like

Say want some pizza, I mean kale.

4 Likes

I totally get you in re: yo-yo dieting! I started Abilify a week ago and Iā€™m noticing Iā€™m not as hungry anymore. Thatā€™s good news. Maybe I can try again now

1 Like

Iā€™m right there with you, been calorie counting for two months now. Iā€™m determined to not only not gain weight on Zyprexa, but to lose 49 pounds to get rid of my Geodon weight. So far Iā€™m down seven pounds. Calorie counting works.

It takes some work to record everything you eat in a nutrition tracker, but I think itā€™s worth it. Now that I have my favorite foods entered into the tracker, I can pull up my recent foods or my favorites list and just do a couple of clicks. In the beginning I had to find everything in the inventory of foods but now I can plan a weekā€™s meals in about ten minutes. Itā€™s worth it.

2 Likes

Hahaha this is so true. Iā€™ve been trying ā€œintuitiveā€ eating as well I like that term. It seems so easy like I just have to not eat junk then Iā€™ll be fine.

I have had no success with dieting lately not even calorie counting. I have been getting such strong cravings and when I count my calories itā€™s like Iā€™m just starving all day and am even worse at controlling the cravings. I wonder if it has anything to do with my IUD. Since Iā€™ve started actively trying to lose weight I have actually gained 3 lbs. :pensive:

2 Likes

ive started back counting calories a week ago its going well i have myfitnesspal set to lose 2 pounds a week but i usually never reach my calorie goal for the day probably because it is high because of how high my starting weight is

3 Likes

It really works! Best of luck to you @everhopeful ! If you can survive the first week and ride the hunger pains out they do go away. I know itā€™s sometimes super hard for me, because my meds at night make me really hungry, plus the significant cut in the amount of food I allow myself to eat. always feel better the next day though when I ride it out. I wake up feeling great and not nearly as groggy, and it gets me out of bed because I look forward to a good breakfast.

Iā€™ve lost 10 pounds so far calorie counting and exercising 2-3 times a week, over the last month. Iā€™m sold, it works and I can still eat what I like, even if I have to pay for it in a restricted day of eating. Nothing worked before, even excersizing and smart eating, like you said, werenā€™t enough to make me lose weight. I had to cut calories, plain and simple.

1 Like

You had luck with a B-complex before. Maybe try it again ?

1 Like

If this helps the 2 lbs a week plan is extremely difficult and is a very large calorie restriction. Youā€™ll probably have higher success with the 1 lb a week plan even though itā€™s annoying that it takes longer, wouldnā€™t you rather lose weight slowly but actually lose it and keep it off rather than just fail every day and get discouraged?

1 Like

Hmm Iā€™ll try it but that was different it was like I had massive hunger pangs out of nowhere. Now Iā€™m hungry because I go such long periods of time without eating. I do this because often my dinners are fatty or unhealthy. So I only have breakfast and then go like 6-7 hours without eating when I get hungry like every 3-4 hours.

Itā€™s also really hard to do because when I skip meals and donā€™t eat I get brain fog and fatigue really bad.

I have been trying to be healthier and I now cook at least twice a week so thatā€™s an improvement. I would like to cook more but it takes a while and means that all the time my boyfriend and I have together is spent cooking and eating and cleaning up.

1 Like

Intuitive eating is not easy lol. My mum bought this nice Jamaican bread loaf and I intuitively ate quite a few slices. And intuitively bought an Indian take away, andā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s funny. Thatā€™s how things were going for me tooā€¦ :smile:

2 Likes

i started on one pound a week but because my weight is so high it was set to 2700 calories a day and i only ate like 1400 the first day so i changed it to two pounds a week and now its at 2240 calories a day but im only eating like 1800-1900

Depending on your height and weight, low-calorie diets are useless since, as we reduce the amount of calories we consume, our bodiesā€™ survival instinct automatically makes the best use possible of the energy we put at its disposal. Our bodies learn to optimize the amount of calories we feed them. Starvation diets make metabolism shut down and cause more rapid weight gain when the diet ends.

Newer research suggests weight loss is more complicated than ā€œcalories in, calories out.ā€ For instance, two people can eat the same amount of calories, all other things being equal, and show different amounts of weight gain or loss. This suggest that people are different and even calories are different.

Finally, the quality of your calories matters. Refined carbohydrates (white rice, pasta, crackers, cookies, candy) get converted into glucose quickly, which spikes blood sugar and releases insulin, leading to high cholesterol, diabetes, etc. Some forms of calories make you store fat more readily. Itā€™s possible that some calories make you gain weight while others donā€™t.

As for ā€œintuitive eating,ā€ I have no clue what youā€™re talking about.

4 Likes

my ex use to do that, she wrote everything down as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohhh ok I thought you meant you werenā€™t hitting your calorie goals like going over them I misunderstood your post

1 Like

i will probably eventually change it to lose 1 lb per week once i get to a lower weight because the more weight i lose the less calories i will need

I feel like meal planning is the most natural method

1 Like