I want to get back on Abilify but

I am afraid of becoming impulsive and compulsive again. The FDA and Health Canada put a warning box on Abilify bottles about addictions and hypersexuality. It gave me addiction and hypersexuality issues.

My psychiatrist and family don’t want to. I had a life while on Abilify but it got shitty with time, I can stop it when it gets shitty. And idk if having a shitty life is better than having no life.

What’s the worse thing that can happen?

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning that compulsive or uncontrollable urges to gamble, binge eat, shop, and have sex have been reported with the use of the antipsychotic drug aripiprazole (Abilify, Abilify Maintena, Aristada, and generics). These uncontrollable urges were reported to have stopped when the medicine was discontinued or the dose was reduced. These impulse-control problems are rare, but they may result in harm to the patient and others if not recognized.”

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-warns-about-new-impulse-control-problems-associated-mental-health#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20Food%20and%20Drug,%2C%20Aristada%2C%20and%20generics).

I’ve been on Abilify for years and although it made me super anxious there are times where I kind of want to go back on Abilify because it was an AP that didn’t affect my metabolism in a negative way.

I lost so much weight on Abilify and I took regular showers on it.

But the truth was that it did not take care of my positive symptoms enough.

I was much more paranoid on Abilify.

1 Like

Maybe you can add some Abilify to the Risperdal.
Take them both but at lower doses.

I was 200lb on Abilify bcz I was able to go to the gym daily. Now on Risperdal I don’t exercise at all and I am 300lb.

Did you have less negative symptoms on Abilify than Risperdal? Its the only thing in the world that improved my severe negative symptoms.

1 Like

Yes I had less negative symptoms on Abilify.

1 Like

Now my Dr doesn’t want to prescribe Abilify, not even Rexulti. He says even the lowest dose can cause impulsions. My only hope is Vraylar, I really want Vraylar and think its the perfect med for me. Did you try Vraylar?

I too feel that I have less negative symptoms on abilify. I was on Invega before abilify. I even think my cognitive has improved because I don’t feel so drugged up.

1 Like

Yea I had a better memory on Abilify than Risperdal.

1 Like

@Bowens Are they really uncontrollable? Idk I had no control on myself while on Abilify, I was impulsive.

My doctor switched me to Vraylar 4 years ago.
It made me extremely anxious and it was even more activating than Abilify for me.

The bottom line was that it didn’t control my positive symptoms at all.

I ended up getting involuntarily committed to a psych hospital twice for a total of 5 weeks.

1 Like

I havn’t really had any really severe “uncontrollable urges.” I’ve bought a few things on Amazon but they were needed items.

I never thought that a med could give me addictions and hypersexuality. I guess chemicals can change our personality.

I bought a desk chair, a tv and a mattress but I don’t think thats out of control

1 Like

Yea they say its a rare side effect but I had it, soo unlucky.

1 Like

Good thing that you found a working med, me too Risperdal is my best med so far but I think it can be Vraylar if it ever becomes available in Canada.

1 Like

Vraylar didn’t work for me but it could end up being the perfect drug for you @Aziz

1 Like

My doctor doesn’t want to change my meds.
She trusts Risperdal for me.

She doesn’t even want to lower my dose.

I understand though.

Maybe abilify at a lower dose wouldn’t give you those problems. If I remember correctly you said you were on 25mg. Thats a really high dose.

1 Like

Is vraylar ever coming to canada?