I heard of that when we get older, the Sz symptoms will decrease naturally

Have you ever heard of that. If it is so, we will have a bright future as we are aging.

3 Likes

I’ve just reached 50 and my forties were good for symptoms. I actually came down on my anti depressant successfully. For me I get better as I age but I’ve been on meds for 20 years and I’ve been on the same probably well over 12.

3 Likes

Do you think that might be due to decreased stress in part too ?

1 Like

Keeping stress low does help. I like routine too so I try and take meds same time everyday and do things like exercise. Adding exercise has really helped me in my late 40’s. Wish I did it in my early 30’s …

4 Likes

That’s how it was with me. One year for the initial break with reality and destruction of property driving me to homelessness, one year slowly picking up the pieces and getting medicine adjusted, a year of getting back in my family’s good graces after lots of improvement, and through to now where I haven’t had a strong delusional thought in over a year. I’ve improved a LOT since six years ago, and I kept hope alive by just reading positive statements by professionals that said that a lot of people get better with age.

2 Likes

That’s not been the case for me. I’m 52

Thank you all for your replies. Now, I am 44 years old and my job is stress free.

So I hope I can get better as I age.

2 Likes

I have happiness at my present age, which is 70.

8 Likes

How long have you had schizophrenia?

It’s certainly true for me.

2 Likes

Hello. I don’t know the exact statistics, but yes some schizophrenics do report much more mild symptoms as they age.

I’m very thankful that’s the case for me. In my late twenties when I was first diagnosed I could barely function.

Now I live on my own and have a much better quality of life.

3 Likes

My schizophrenia was with me on my 17th birthday.

1 Like

Good thread, this gives me hope.

2 Likes

Maybe for positive symptoms as the brain makes less dopamine in old age but definitively not the negative symptoms. Actually I think negative symptoms get worse as you age. No energy, need ppl to take care of us, lack of hygiene, etc This sucks!

2 Likes

Up until I got hospitalized several times and my meds got screwed up, my thirties were looking awesome for symptoms.

I got put on Depakote, which raised my Blood glucose to the 300’s. This was driving me insane.
Despite there being no evidence Depakote was at all helpful, instead of changing my meds back to the ones that worked, my diabetes was treated with insulin.

A number of medical “professionals” ought to be living in disgrace.

1 Like

I really doubt it. I find it’s worse with bad health. My mom seemed to be worse.

First 10 years are the worst in my opinion. I’m on year 9. I can finally see out of my head and eyes and sense reality normally and don’t feel mental pain and suffering 24/7. So yes, I believe so.

1 Like

I’m doing much better these days I got schizophrenia two years ago and the first year was hell

2 Likes

Same, hopefully we’ll make a quick full recovery, this ■■■■ is hard

1 Like

Yeah it really is