Food prices just keep rising

There was in the news that food prices just keep rising although gasoline and energy costs are decreasing. It shows in the daily food basket and I do not buy certain products I used to buy before these price increases started. The price of one product has increased by 40.7 % within one year. I have been also buying ice cream and I noticed today that its price has increased from 1.39€ to 1,65€, so up by 18.7 % in a couple of weeks. They blame the war in Ukraine for all these price increases, but how then many other costs such as energy has been falling. I just think that greedy business people keep these food and other grocery prices high artificially.

12 Likes

Food inflation is highest in these product categories. Annual price increases:

Eggs 32.6 %
Butter 35.6 %
Flour 37.4 %
Sugar 37.7 %

3 Likes

Here is the inflation thread we started in February 2023.

3 Likes

The coffee I like has gone up 50% from 3 years ago

7 Likes

I think if prices go up this is especially a big issue in developing countries. Most people there can’t cope with price hikes.

Here salaries and benefits are linked to the Consumer Price Index. So for most people it’s not a big issue but a topic to talk about.

6 Likes

We had also one inflation thread in October 2022…

1 Like

We also had one inflation thread in March 2022, one year ago …

1 Like

Its all gone up in the uk. All odd 20-30 pence extra added on to the shopping goods. Its costing me an extra £40 quid a week.

Even using my brothers food warehouse card at Bookers, bulk buying has gone up a few quid.

Noticed my ESA is going up by 25 quid a week in April this year, but doubt that will cover the cost.

3 Likes

I am not a cook and I do not know how to make a chocolate cake, but I would think that it contains flour, butter, eggs and sugar, maybe also other ingredients. If the average price of all basic ingredients has gone up by 36 %, and then we must add the profit the chocolate cake makers are getting, and then I would assume that the price of one chocolate cake has increased by 40 % in one year. I have noticed that many pastry products are quite expensive which is why I am not buying these products, good for my diabetes.

Now I know how to make one chocolate cake. My price estimates are not too much off.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve seen some things increase by up to 50% or higher at a time, it’s sickening really. It’s almost like the wild west, they are competing with eachother on price raising.

I have been refraining from posting about the inflation and stuff but yeah i’m gonna be without water here soon.

2 Likes

I think the governments are robbing us

3 Likes

Im out of food stamps 12 days into this month. Everything has gotten so expensive.

3 Likes

I’m no expert on economics but capitalism has these market fluctuations. You can’t have continued growth forever and we’ve just come out of a crazy period where everything was pretty good. Low interest rates. Growth. All the capitalists are happy…

Thing is that all it takes is certain events and it all goes south pretty quickly especially since it’s a worldwide market these days and everyone is in everyone else’s market.

Interest rates are a bit over 3% over here and the hurt is going to come. Keep your lives simply people because we are all suffering and that covid business was going to bite sometime eventually in the world markets.

5 Likes

In Sweden the annual grocery inflation was 22.1%, from Jan to Feb the grocery prices went up 2.8% (in one month). So inflation is not going anywhere. There were also some inflation news from the USA.

1 Like

Recently I couldnt find a pair of scissors for less than $15. Everything is insanely priced. the world’s gone mad. Have to go back to the middle ages when people just create Gold out of thin air.

3 Likes

all I’ve really noticed is eggs are three times the cost as before, dog food has gone up too a lot for us.

4 Likes

I made one observation today. I noticed that energy inflation in G7 countries was high even before the war in Ukraine. For example energy inflation in the USA started increasing already in April 2021. Just an interesting observation.

2 Likes

In this video they also addressed that there are more mental health problems due to the rising prices …