All around the world prices are going up

Rn here in the USA gas is $4.99 usd per gallon of gas. Ramen noodles used to be cheaper than dirt. Even Ramen noodles are expensive now. A bottle of Suave shampoo used to cost 1-2 dollars. Now it’s $5. This is plain foolishness.

9 Likes

I don’t understand why prices are going up and what the war has to do with it. So far I haven’t noticed prices going up at the Co-op where I buy my groceries and I’m hoping they don’t raise the prices too much.

3 Likes

Yes they are. Inflation in Belgium is 9% right now. In the US it’s 8.6%.

Central banks will have to intervene and we’ll head for a recession.

5 Likes

I think it started with Covid-19 honestly

3 Likes

$6.50 a gallon here in California.

4 Likes

Damn! There’s got to be a way to survive this ■■■■.

2 Likes

$6.50 gas here
Grocery costing $100 now cost $140 for repeat order. Out of control.
I order the same thing every week.

4 Likes

Here everything is up.
Gas, supermarket, food.

5 Likes

Are you in Greece? I think it’s a worldwide problem really.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m in Greece

3 Likes

The same in Sweden.

3 Likes

Since January cost increase started -
US food stamp deposit extra 95$ / mo.

Not sure if they will increase that now that cost is SO high. Not sure what to do. Just buy even cheaper food.

1 Like

What I’ve started to do (which is hard cos I’m a binge eater) is spreading my food out.

Example: I used to eat a whole pack of frozen green beans in one sitting. Now I eat 1/2 pack and save half for the next day.

4 Likes

I get a whopping $16 a month in food assistance now. I make too much without enough bills I guess. Not much help tbh.

3 Likes

I hear that even food banks are struggling to get enough food. I don’t qualify for food stamps or food banks.

4 Likes

There are multiple reasons why we have inflation, but it started with Covid-19…

1. Governments around the world printed money out of thin air and gave it away
  2. Gas prices cause transportation costs to go up, so the price of goods goes up to pay for the gas
  3. “The great resignation” - Many companies have to pay their employees more to hire them in the first place, that then means they need to raise their prices to pay their salaries.
  4. The war in Ukraine.
  5. Supply chains are f*cked. Low supply, high demand → Price goes up.
11 Likes

Makes sense for sure

2 Likes

I agree with all your points @Headspark . There are a variety of factors. Blaming all on the war as some have tried to do is not accurate at all. Ukraine is a small part of the reason.

4 Likes

Remember learning about the Great Depression in school

Never thought we would live through something worst. Or not sure which is worst now or then.

2 Likes

Yeah especially cos the prices started to go up before the Ukraine thing even began.

3 Likes