Do You Still Hear Voices?

Does your medication get rid of the voices? Or are you still hearing voices, even on medication?

If you no longer have voices, what medications are you on?

5 Likes

I don’t think I still hear voices… haven’t noticed any at least recently… but it’s been almost 2 years since I started taking meds again so it’s taken awhile not to hear any.

I’m on abilify 15mg

1 Like

every once in awhile I hear something, usually music.

1 Like

nah, now the only voices that bother me are when actual people are talking from a distance and i misinperpret them as talking about me

4 Likes

I still hear voices very frequently

3 Likes

I have no positive symptoms on 6mg Risperdal but have bad negative symptoms.

1 Like

@cigarino which medications are you on?

1 Like

Similar for me, when I’m out it feels like everyone is watching me and I hear parts of conversations it always sounds like people are plotting against me.

2 Likes

I hear voices all the time. They are not connected to paranoia or delusion. It is entirely possible to hear voices and know they are just voices. That’s what my life is like.

As in, the computer works again, a lot like it used to, but it still emits strange noises.

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you @agent101g . I have voices only. What I’m trying to determine, is which medications might get rid of them. I’m sitting on the fence right now about the Effectiveness and risks of medication

If one actually got rid of the voices, with negligible negative side effects, I would try it

1 Like

My meds make the voices nice instead of mean. A higher dose might eliminate them, but I’m very sensitive to akathisia, a side effect from APs that causes you to walk in circles around your house. Sitting still brings great discomfort. So I can’t go any higher in dosage for any reason or my life will become horrible again due to the akathisia.

If you aren’t sensitive to it like I am, a higher dose of AP might help. Only 5-10% of people who take an AP get akathisia as badly as I do.

1 Like

invega, zoloft, hydroxyzine

1 Like

Which antipsychotic are you on, if you don’t mind my asking? I am on 10 mg of Abilify, considering trying higher. I have a similar problem to you, I am hypersensitive to any psychiatric drug.

1 Like

Zyprexa, 7.5mg. We kept going down until we got to a dose where there was no akathisia. It’s still enough to keep paranoia and delusions away.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m going to do some reading and then talk to my doctor. Just curious what was working for everyone else

1 Like

I’m treatment resistant. Without giving me EPS out the wazoo, pdocs have only been successful in fully vanquishing my voices with high-dose multi-drug regimen. Have had so much Thorazine loaded into me on an outpatient basis that I had 4 grand mal seizures in 1 week from it lowering my seizure threshold. Had so much Haldol pumped into me, again on an outpatient basis, that my entire left arm shook violently and I had to pin it down in bed underneath me at night to go to sleep. I don’t know what tolerable relief feels like. I hear voices a lot, but 99% of the time I am able to recognize they’re not real.

2 Likes

That’s one of the things that concerns me. Drugs like Latuda come with a risk of seizures. I have just finished a two-and-a-half year stint of grand mal seizuring every three months, There’s No Going Back to that

It sounds like you’ve had quite a go my friend. Glad to hear you’ve got a handle on it

1 Like

Yeah man, in all my travels I’ve only seen two instances of seizures brought about by an antipsychotic. One was a 12 year old who’d accidentally been overdosed by staff with Haldol. The other was me and my Thorazine experience. There are a “large” (relatively) number of people who seize on Clozapine. It actually has a black box warning for it.

Truthfully, all antipsychotics can disturb the seizure threshold. The hard part is you don’t know what med, indeed, if any, will cause it. You can do things like add an antiepileptic such as Depakote which can assist the antipsychotic in its efficacy. It’s a game.

1 Like

I still hear voices even though I take meds. I don’t think they will ever go away. I’m on two different AP’s. I just ignore the voices and live my life as normally as I can.

1 Like

Scary ■■■■, and hard decisions. I think I might try glycine first before talking to my doctor about any change in meds. The other issue for me, is that I have to pay for them at of pocket. I’m already having trouble paying for all of my meds as it is