Do you Regret the Person you were Before sz?

I’ve not been diagnosed myself, but I can relate to many of the symptoms - especially the cognitive ones. Do any of you have any regrets about the way you lived life before your symptoms emerged?

For me, I regret quitting jobs for no good reason. I also think I could have been a better friend in some instances and I think I should have been more honest with myself.

3 Likes

I dont regret it. I miss those days. I miss being well.

4 Likes

In many ways I do. What I remember about my time before sz is being very relaxed around people, but I don’t think that was as good as I remember. I was very egotistical in those years. I wish I had known myself better.

6 Likes

Before the illness started, I was just a kid who never got to live her teenage years. My teens experiences happened when I was I’ll and afterwards, I made up for it bit by bit.

So, to say so, I wasn’t a person before that, not aware of myself and not very happy due to circumstances (bad childhood).

I don’t miss a thing, I am way happier and better now.

1 Like

I was selfish and self centered before.

1 Like

I am not happy with the prodrome at all, it’s quite possible that prodromal schizophrenia was affecting me back then…

3 Likes

I was always symptomatic and ill, it just got worse over time, hitting me hard during my teen years and early 20s.

2 Likes

Yes and no. I liked who I was before psychosis, and I enjoyed my life, but I was reckless. It’s kind of how I ended up how I did, with my drug-induced psychotic disorder. So I regret that big time.

I’m still mourning the person I used to be because I miss that person a lot.

4 Likes

I can totally relate to that @anon1517417 - I struggle to accept that the person I was is in the past, but one thing that’s helped me is learning to love my fate, which is easier said than done.

4 Likes

I can’t really because I’ve had symptoms since I was a kid. I don’t remember a “pre-illness” time. I do regret the person I was during the height of it in my teens.

1 Like

Very cute profile picture

3 Likes

Aww thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve had a psychotic disorder since I was 17/18. I barely even remember who I was before that.

I like who I’ve become, though. I mean, it sucks I can’t work right now, but I generally like my life and who I am when you take away the disabilities.

3 Likes

no i liked who i was

1 Like

I’ve been sick since I was a kid, so I didn’t really have time to do anything too regrettable before that.

1 Like

This is another, “sz makes you a better person” threads.

Sz happening to you is not a good thing. It is a very bad thing

I was a wierd I schizo child.

I think I was outgoing , well developed and so forth as a toddler but after that I changed .

I was a bad person in many ways and I do apolagise for my wrong doings.
Being a bad friend,sister etc but I was very sick and suffering etcand symptoms…

I have improved myself and am a better person now.

People can improve themselves.
Thankfully.

I just apologise for my wrongdoings when I pray and I nolonger binge drink etc

I am not a member of any religion but have my own beliefs as such.

:pray:t3::two_hearts:

2 Likes

The only thing I regret is being unable to use the word No and stand up for myself. I was a total doormat. I’m getting better little by little. Sza definitely taught me that though my mind is split I don’t deserve to be treated badly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dont even look back. Its the past, what does it matter?

3 Likes

I wasn’t a bad kid but I did some illegal things. You might think I regret it but I really don’t.
I treated certain people bad, I regret that a little.

Mark Twain (Samuel Clemons) wrote, “In 20 years you are not going to regret the things you did, you’re going to regret the things you didn’t do”.
That’s how I feel now.
I wish I would have taken more chances.

I made a lot of mistakes, I did a lot of stupid things when I was younger. I regret causing fights between my parents all the time because of the daily fights about me not wanting to wash the dishes after dinner. It may sound like a trivial problem but it was a nightly argument between me and my mom. And my dad never backed her up which resulted in huge fights between them.

2 Likes