Schizophrenia.com

What do you most regret about schizophrenia

Personally I regret deeply the problems it caused me in relation to my family. I have caused my family a lot of hurt, especially my mother. WHen I was very ill and agitated I spat in my mothers face. To this day I still feel bad about that. I now know how insulting this was to my mother. I didn’t at the time, but trust me, this would not have happened if I were not deeply psychotic and ill.

WHat do you regret about this illness?

1 Like

I was taught to “forgive and forget”. Seek your family member’s understanding, and if any, forgiveness. I think reasonable parents will understand the illness of their children.

2 Likes

I too was horrid to my parents and relations
I was also rude to an old friend
like you say I get along ok with everyone now that I am in good mental health but I did lose touch with friends.

2 Likes

Missed life experiences.

2 Likes

I have many regrets, not sure how many I can attribute to my illness. One for sure is all the wasted years. Of course that was due to my own non-compliance with medication.

2 Likes

:boom: :boom: Exactly that. That is the EXACT thing I regret. I pulled my parents through hell with me… I stole money from them, I said horrid things that were in NO Way true, I push my younger brother quite hard once and he almost broke his arm. I threw a television at my other brother… I am very ashamed of the person I was.

I was so paranoid, I was so angry and my perception of everything was so wrong. But at the time… firmly against meds.

Plus… I really damaged my kid sisters life.
When other kids were out playing… I was training her how to avoid kidnappers.

At 16 she had friends who were getting out and going to parties… she was home cleaning my apartment and making sure I took my meds… and didn’t wander off… or do something rash.

Other then that… I also regret how far back I feel. Again… people my age, back at 17 and 18 were graduating and going on to college… I was in hospital, barely got my GED. I was so far behind due to this illness.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear this. You are stronger(against the illness) than before. You are a surfer, a swimmer. We need to forgive each other, and forget them altogether. I think being nice to your family members from now onward (whenever possible) would help you to recover. :family:

3 Likes

Thank you for that… It’s taken some family therapy, and some hard work… but relationships are healing.

My sis was the very first to forgive and forget and stay by my side… my parents were very close after that. One brother and I are doing much better… the other two are a work in progress. (I’m the oldest of 5)

1 Like

Uh the people who messed with me while I was psychotic knew better, I dont regret being psychotic, regret is for when you wish you had made a different choice, and no one chooses to be psychotic unless they have been on meds and then consciously quit taking them like an idiot. My sister threw one of her unmedicated bipolar bitch fits at me and I spat on her. I don’t regret it, I was psychotic, trained in hand to hand combat and drunk, she knows she has a disorder and has refused medication for years. My parents were like “yeah he spit on you, what the **** were you yelling at him for? All he does is sit on the porch, drink and smoke cigarettes, and there is clearly something deeply wrong with him” (This was before I was diagnosed, my parents didnt even know what schizophrenia was at the time)

I don’t regret a thing, I was sick. Do diabetics regret being diabetic? Do people with cancer regret needing chemotherapy and not being able to get out of bed?

This post would make Spock annoyed with its logic.

I think it’s a bit more complex than that. I’ve made decisions I regret that can’t always be explained away by psychosis. While much of what I’ve done was due to illness, I haven’t been psychotic 24/7.

1 Like

It’s cool that you have no regrets and you don’t have to live with any guilt. I wouldn’t wish that bubble of past guilt on anyone. Not having that hold you back is obviously a good thing… one less obstacle in your way. :thumbsup:

I do know some people who are diabetic and regret their limitations. My aunt passed due to cancer and she did regret the physical limitation her illness placed on her. My Aunt did regret being so weak from chemo she missed her son’s college graduation.

I think anytime an illness… any illness takes away from ones life… they regret it.

3 Likes

ive lost a lot of friend along the days :frowning: . ive lied to people and ive been truthful to other and i regret the way i am

1 Like

The thing I regret most about sz is not going to university. I got sick at 18 so a lot of my life experiences were cut short. Also what I regret is the pain I caused my mother - when I got better she told me about her crying behind closed doors because of how sick I was.

1 Like

Yeah, I can look at my life and give you a sob story, sure. Lost opportunities, relationships, broken and distant family ties so on and so forth … But I am also proud of my achievements despite living with a severe mental illness. One positive thing that stands out, is my long employment history, working at the same position for decades - I am tired of sob stories when it comes to this illness, you know what even non SZ people have it tough - who said that this life was going to be easy

4 Likes

There’s enough misery to go around. I don’t think it’s wrong for people to feel sad about how the illness changed their lives. Dwelling on it isn’t healthy, but it’s only natural to feel bad about it.

2 Likes

No I am not taking this away - Believe me I did my share of mourning, crying, suicidal thoughts over this illness. For me personally I did some positive things despite my illness. I am ready to highlight the positive experiences in my life and move on. I am not speaking for others and telling them how to feel. Everyone has their own personal experience, take on what their experience with schizophrenia has done to them. Believe me, their is plenty of grief to go around when it comes to living with schizophrenia - I never said it was wrong

4 Likes