Blaming mass shootings on mental illness leads to stigma, experts warn

We don’t need weapons of war on the streets.

2 Likes

The problem is its impossible to educate these fuuckers who blame it on mental illnesses.

1 Like

Okay I see you dont want to have an actual discussion, so let me point out that more people die from vehicles than they do from guns, where is the outrage about how accessible vehicles are?

1 Like

Thing Is cars aren’t implicitly designed to kill as many humans as possible in the shortest amount of time. Assault weapons are - in fact that is their only purpose.

Comparing guns to cars is stupid

6 Likes

And yet more people die by vehicle than by guns. I dont see it as a stupid comparison at all.

What is paramount here is intention. People don’t in 99.99% cases intend to kill people when using their cars.

Whereas 100% of people using assault do intend to kill people. That’s why they bought the gun

3 Likes

+1 I totally agree.

1 Like

My entire point is that blaming guns wont solve the problem. People will find a way to commit mass murder regardless. How many pedestrians have been ran over in terrorist attacks these past few years?

We need to change how we report warning signs.

Apparently no one wants to have that discussion though.

2 Likes

There’s no reason why a 2 pronged approach of better warning signs and banning guns couldn’t be implemented.

What makes you think banning guns won’t solve the problem? Britain banned private handguns and there has been no further massacres.

I will admit it will be hard in the states because there are so many guns in circulation. Tbh that is a problem American politicians don’t want to broach.

3 Likes

yeah, I guess Trump wants background checks increased too

but where is confidentiality. Will pdoc give out that information?

My cousin Molly was allowed to buy a hand gun, after weeks and weeks in a psych ward, then she killed herself.

Death is death. I see nothing good in it. I also want to say, mental illness is a suffering disease, and I really don’t believe this guy struggled with that said,
a constant debate and challenge with your own mind. No, he was determined.

The problem with what your saying about reporting people who show warning signs is that people would whine and complain about being stigmatized!

Gun control would have worked 50 years ago, now it’s impossible. There are too many in the streets and criminals wont care if they are illegal, because they are criminals. You’d just be arming the criminals and leaving law abiding citizens unarmed.

Unless someone can give me a 100% guarantee that this wouldnt happen I will not give up my guns.

Again I’m not saying it should be easy to get guns. I’m not diminishing the fact that high capacity magazines make it easy to commit these mass murders. I’m open to better background checks and red flag laws, but unless someone can give me a 100% guarantee that both myself and the criminals will be disarmed, I will not give up my guns. It’s just not going to happen.

1 Like

So? Again, if we can take away the rights of someone who is suicidal then why cant we take away the rights of someone showing warning signs of violence?

Is the states can spend trillions on a war on drugs they have the resources to at least address the number of guns in circulation in the US.

But we all know that would never be a vote winner

1 Like

It would be just like the war on drugs, trillions of dollars spent with no results.

1 Like

I don’t see a dangerous society where I live, or any city near me

never seen a gun drawn, never took myself into potentially dangerous places,

but look, this was a WalMart. And if I did own a gun (never would with schizophrenia) would I really take a life?

It’s cool you haven’t seen those things, I havent been that lucky.

“Mental illness and hatred pull the trigger, not the gun,” President Trump announced when he condemned shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, which together left at least 31 people dead and dozens wounded.

Mr. President, what you said about hatred rings true. But you are wrong in blaming mental illness.

As the father of an adult son with a mental illness and one of 14 nongovernment experts appointed by your administration to a panel that advises Congress about serious mental illnesses, I’d like to recount some well-established facts.

It’s easy for the public to assume that anyone who commits mass murder is mentally ill. How could he or she not be? And several shooters in recent high-profile mass killings have had a serious mental disorder.

But your implication that the 46 million American adults estimated to have a diagnosable mental illness and the 11.2 million thought to have a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, are dangerous and potentially mass murderers is as wrongheaded as declaring that the 329 million Americans who are white are capable of committing mass homicide. After all, being white is one of the most common traits of a mass shooter. Data from Mother Jones shows that between 1982 and 2017, 54 percent of mass shooters were white men. Research also shows that many of them struggle with a sense of entitlement attached to their white, heterosexual identity as well as economic anxiety in the post-industrial economy.

1 Like

I don’t take the back streets to save time

I take the straight and narrow where it’s safe

the main thing I have to worry about is people recklessly speeding.

1 Like