APs that don’t cause weight gain

I know this may seem trivial to some but I am a recovering bulimic and it’s still something I’m constantly battling. On top of that I have a few massive cysts in my abdomen that are making me look pregnant so I’m just trying to find the most weight-neutral anti psychotic out there.
If there is one please I’d love to hear it.

1 Like

Vraylar and geodon don’t cause weight problems for me.

1 Like

Hi. I am a binge eater.

I switched meds from risperdal to geodon about 3 months ago because of some side effect issues with the risperdal.

In my experience I don’t have the loss of control over food as bad on the geodon as the Risperdal. But the geodon doesn’t control my manic episodes as well as the risperdal.

1 Like

Im a binge on something type of person. Sometimes food, sometimes starving, sometimes alcohol, marijuana, sex…anything really. I just need to do things in excess. I hate it. Right now I am cutting myself off from alcohol, marijuana, and eating only at meal times mostly. And Then the psychotic episodes become stronger. I walk around my house trying to stay busy and trying to ignore the lingering feelings and voices. Anyway I’m rambling. Thank you for your input. Two for Goedon so far. I think I’ll look into it. Other than my agitation and rage that pops up every so often my mania is under control so that puts my mind at ease. Do people ever stop hearing voices, seeing things and feeling hands etc from meds or are they something we just learn to live with?

1 Like

Thank you. That’s helpful. I think I will look into geodon!

1 Like

More or less.
Abilify
Latuda
Vraylar
Geodon
Saphris
Rexulti? Maybe

4 Likes

I’ve been on abilify for almost two weeks and haven’t gained any weight. When i was on zyprexa i had gained 20 pounds at that point.

Been on Latuda for a year already and I can testify that I didn’t gain a pound of weight. Even lost some through dieting. In fact, no tardiness dyskinesia, sexual problems or anything serious. Just some anxiety that I am medicated for and grogginess in the morning that I can overcome if I try. Really works for me.

2 Likes

I’ve gained a stupid amount of weight really fast on every atypical I’ve tried. Saphris was the worst, 100 lbs/45 kg in 6 months. Latuda was pretty bad for me, too, because of the calorie requirement.

I personally do best on haldol, though that’s caused some problems, too, just not nearly as bad.

Everyone is different and there’s only one way to figure out what will work for you.

2 Likes

The only med which did not cause me weight gain is Geodon. I take 120 mg at night.

1 Like

I gained like ~50lbs on Latuda :frowning:

4 Likes

So did I. But before I started taking it I had lost weight with Geodon

1 Like

Just a warning I tried a little Geodon and was gaining around 2 pounds a month for a while… Not sure if they’re related but it all stopped now that I’m back on Latuda. Loosing it off now with dieting. Abilify was also weight neutral for me, but it caused other major problems.

1 Like

I struggled with weight gain a lot when I was on risperdal or invega. I stopped my meds and lost the weight. I had to go back on meds but now I take Geodon, Haldol, and a tiny bit of abilify. I have not gained any weight from taking these meds and I even lost a bit. But side effects are different for everyone. I hope you find something that works for you!

1 Like

Ugh that would be a nightmare. I’ve gained 30lbs from December of last year to now. And I just can’t bare to gain anymore. Thanks for sharing. I know we aren’t all the same but it helps to know there are meds out there that can help.

1 Like

I’m hearing this a lot. I’m researching it more. I think this will be my new AP

1 Like
2 Likes

I didn’t gain weight on aripiprazole, and I think it’s supposed to be weight-neutral last I read. I was also able to lose some weight on it when I wanted to

2 Likes

I lost weight on geodon too but I worked out a lot when I took it

2 Likes

I don’t know what it is about myself right now but I just can not workout or diet. I know it sounds like bull but it’s the honest to god truth. I used to be relatively fit. I did road races and went to the gym. Heck I have an entire gym in my basement. I loved it. I enjoyed eating weighed out foods and snacking on almonds and plain yogurt and bags of veggies. I don’t know what’s wrong with me now. I’m exhausted all the time and I can’t seem to get it right.
I keep thinking if I keep a good routine going every day I’ll build my energy levels up to be able to exercise again. I think maybe it’s my cysts because they’re very large but I’m told it’s not that. Maybe I’m just lazy now.