Anyone exercise

Has anyone used exercise as a means of dealing with negative symptoms? I have been doing it lately and it has been helping.

7 Likes

when my bro plays loud music, I go for a walk.
after an hour of walking, I return home and I feel a lot better.

1 Like

Exercise helps me, though I don’t do it as often as I used to, certainly not as often as I should.

2 Likes

yeah I have been exercising religiously. =) I feel great and love it.

2 Likes

You could say so,

8 Likes

I like to do calisthenics, jump rope, and play sports, though I haven’t been doing them lately. I like all forms of physical exercise, except running long distance. Funny because I’m from Kenya, and people from Kenya win almost every long distance marathon.

2 Likes

I just walked across the room to pick up the remote control from where my daughter set it. Tired now.

4 Likes

I use to be an avid weight trainer. I really enjoyed it. I felt strong inside and out. Now I really struggle to make it to the gym. I only go sporadically. I wish I had a training partner. I would have accountability. Hoping to get more consistent.

I strength train and walk when my health is good enough. I used to be able to squat over 400 lbs (admittedly with shallow depth and not great form) Then I developed degenerative disc disease.

1 Like

You think maybe you developed it because you were squatting heavy with bad form?

I don’t exercise. Everyone around me keeps telling me I should, and that I would feel soooo much better, but I can barely get myself to walk to the store these days.
Whenever I try to exercise, everything hurts and I get frustrated and sad.

1 Like

My work is very physical, as much as my stomach turns and the pain I get, it probably is still good for me to get out.

2 Likes

I go to the gym every day and do 26 minutes on the eliptical. I also ride my bike 3 times a week for an hour each time. These activities are the difference between having a good day, or a bad day.

3 Likes

I do a resistance band workout and use an ab wheel. I try for 60 minutes 5x per week but often settle for 40 minutes 5x a week. It’s warming up, so my hubby and I are sure to start walking again, too.

It helps with negative symptoms a lot. The only strange I have discovered is that I can’t exercise before my schoolwork. I cannot explain it but I can’t focus to save my life.

3 Likes

Have you got a good resistance ? I think mentall ill could have a negative effect in physical resistance.

I peddle a recumbent stationary bicycle every other day for 40 minutes. Helps with so many things including mild depression.

2 Likes

I do rowing and running every 2 days, and resistance training every 3 days or so.
I am happy with my fitness, I think it makes me better , I have mostly cognitive symptoms, in other regards like negative symptoms I am fine.( in the past I had pos and neg symptoms as well)
@Indecisive may be, but in terms of strength I have a good level of strength, and I have schizophrenia.

2 Likes

I hate exercise. Exercise helps with pretty much everything which is why I’m so jealous of people who love exercising. I have no energy, have body aches or some sort of physical pain all the time and just generally no motivation to do so. I’m basically an old woman with a deceptively young looking body.

1 Like

Me and my roommate have fitbits, so we try and get at least 5 miles a day walking, bout 10,000 steps… if I’m alone it makes my delusions resurface so I try to walk with her…

2 Likes

It was probably a factor. Back problems also run in my family and when I played basketball a lot in my early teens sometimes it would ache so bad I would lay down on a bean bag chair and not get up.
I had been using a Weider Ultimate Bodyworks until recently.

It took me so long to respond because of the new user restrictions on posts.