Anyone else use the Food Bank/Pantry?

I’m going to the food pantry tomorrow to get some free food. My psych clinic approved me using it. Does anyone else use food banks or pantries to make ends meet?

8 Likes

I’ve used it a couple of times. Will be utilizing it more when living on my own. We have quite a few. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve used it before many times. I haven’t used it since Covid, but I might need to do it again soon due to inflation

2 Likes

I have been on my own since 2008, but have never needed to go to the food pantry. My plans now are to go once a week.

2 Likes

I used to go… my grandmother goes often and gives me stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks @Niko_Alyxandir @CoCo I know what you mean about inflation.

2 Likes

Thanks @LunaNoir

2 Likes

I volunteered at my Charities Foodbank for a couple of months and it was a lot of fun, the veg gets a little smelly when it goes rotten but most of the produce is taken,

They have a very good membership of around 350 people and rising and you can get a lot of stuff for just £2.50 and freebies that pop up, it is also a cafe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @Resilient1 Your volunteering is appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m not a member myself but if i was short i’d totally go there.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting a couple bags of groceries once a month for years and a box of fresh fruit and vegetables once a month. The food bank knows my income and my financial status and I still qualify under their rules even though I get SSDI and work part time.

2 Likes

yes we just applied and won food benefits from the local food pantry, plus they allow me to apply for a senior box of food once a month too…so one box with produce every two months…one senior box monthly. awesome for us…we really needed the help.

2 Likes

Thanks @77nick77 @77nick77 I’m just on SSDI and I’m glad I got approved. Does the food pantry/bank count as government assistance.They are nonprofit organizations right? I guess I should say private charities.

1 Like

I get my groceries through the city. Certain forms will ask if you get monetary aid or help paying your rent or assistance with buying food. Like maybe Medicaid renewal forms and such.

1 Like

Thanks @77nick77 I guess it doesn’t matter if it’s government assistance or not. I’ll ask at my psych clinic.

1 Like

I kinda been proud of myself for getting off HUD housing assistance and paying all my rent and utilities myself. But now I’m having to take food assistance.

1 Like

i have been using a food bank for a few years

im on ssdi and with cost of food i cant afford it by myself

also i give away things i dont like to an older man that had his food stamps taken away cause he is not retirement age till next year

2 Likes

I’m so grateful to food banks for making sure I had food as a kid. I really try to support them now.

3 Likes

Thanks @shutterbug @yoda123

1 Like

I do not. But I certainly would if I needed to. Nothing wrong with it. I’m glad you are going to be able to get the assistance that you need.

2 Likes