Anyone else use the Food Bank/Pantry?

Thanks @Bowens I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Here the food bank has a program called “Food is Medicine” and your doctor just writes a referral to it if you are elderly or poor. You can go and pick out some fresh produce, bread, and eggs up to 6 lbs. per day. A lot of the produce is in poor condition but there’s usually plenty of good stuff, too. Also, you can call in an emergency food box once a month that you have to pick up at a local church, and that usually includes more canned and boxed foods, meat, and dairy. Also, every year on the day before Thanksgiving, they give out free frozen turkeys and things like stuffing and pumpkin pie…you just have to stand and wait in line for a couple hours at -20 F to get it!

2 Likes

Thanks @WhiteRaven

1 Like

Oh yeah, I used to go about once a month to a really good food pantry. Since getting Covid relief food stamps I haven’t had the need for it. But with the extra food stamps ending this month and rising food cost I might have to visit it again in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks @Montezuma

2 Likes

I happily donate to the Food Bank every month. Been doing it for years.

1 Like

Thanks @SkinnyMe

1 Like

I know it’s not what you were asking but when I was without money I ate at soup kitchens.

1 Like

I don’t use food banks but I see nothing wrong with using them.

1 Like

Thanks @Sweatpantslounger Any replies are appreciated

1 Like

Thanks @Wave 15

1 Like

No but when energy prices increase in October I will consider going to one and seeing what I can get hold of for free… My support worker said that I should try it out and that lots of people go to them.

1 Like

Yep. They help when things get too tight.

1 Like

Thanks @StarCrazy @ZombieMombie

2 Likes

Used a food bank about a year ago. In fact its just round the corner I do donate the odd fray bentos pie and femine hygiene products too.

The “lions club” which is a charity, put a stock of 10pound morrisons vouchers at the cmht too - and ive had a couple, cos at least you can choose your own shopping, and im not the biggest fan of pasta lol. (they have a no alcohol sticker on them obviously :D)

2 Likes

I felt inspired by this thread and just donated 100€ to the Belgian Food Banks.

I hope I never have to go hungry!

5 Likes

Thanks @Naarai @Jonathan2

2 Likes

I’m glad you are using the food bank. You need steady nutrition, especially if you are diabetic. Those resources are there for you, so I’m so glad you are using them.

2 Likes

Thanks @oolaloola

I get most of my foods from charity, sometimes they got fancy foods. The only thing i buy is coffee, milkpowder, cheese and supplements to compliment my diet.

1 Like