Antipsychotics Expensive

Antipsychotics are way too expensive in America

3 Likes

Yes they are.They do have inexpensive ones. Not sure if they work for you. Some people qualify for patient assistance programs. Some pdocs can get you samples.

I am thankful mine are free. I feel for the people that have to decide whether they eat or buy meds. :snowman::snowman::snowman:

Ya but we get first Dibbs while the rest of the world waits years.

1 Like

True, my pdr said US meds take 5+ years to reach Canada.

Goodrx coupons amaze me that they even exist. I feel lucky because I hadn’t insurance for past few years. Getting on a plan now through new job. They don’t know that’s coming their way lol

2 Likes

I’m lucky I get SSI and get my medications for free. I have the best health and dental insurance.

1 Like

I agree. Without insurance 1 month supply of my AP is 1400 dollars. Every year before my deductible is met I have to pay 800 something bucks for it out of pocket. Ouch. Luckily once my deductible is met it is free for me.

Big pharma is a monstrous empire. They claim they need to charge exorbitant prices to make up for research and development costs, however they spend double that amount on marketing of their “product”, doing things like putting out ads and commercials and literally bribing doctors to prescribe their meds (i wish i was making that up). All of this is entirely unethical and some countries do not even allow the marketing of medications. I believe if we enacted the same policies there would then be no excuse for their massive price gauging.

Also practically no first world countries other than America use work related insurance. America says if you don’t have a job you don’t get to live. That is another big issue because many of the people who need meds the most cannot work.

1 Like

i completely agree. It doesn’t even make sense. just pure robbery and profiteering.

They bill the med super high to someone who isn’t capable of working. So they know the insurance company will pay it. yep profiteering.

Goodrx has saved my butt many a time. Also doctors giving free samples of meds has saved my butt. I’ve been able to receive months worth of free meds before my insurance wouldn’t have covered and I couldn’t afford because kind doctors i had provided me with samples.

How much is 100mg Invega Sustenna per month in America?

I’m taking Abilify and live in the US. My insurance copay is $242.00, but if the pharmacist fills it without insurance and I pay retail it’s $28.00 a month. I’m going to change insurance companies during open enrollment this fall. I just switched from Zyprexa to Abilify in May of this year.

1 Like

I get my meds free here in Canada.

1 Like

I was on 78mg. It was about $800. The price only goes up for there with the higher doses.

1 Like

Do you live in the US?

Yes 78096543678

1 Like

I can’t take any of the expensive AP’s with my insurance. The only atypical AP I could afford was Geodon, but it didn’t work for me. So now I’m on loxapine, which is chemically similar to clozapine

2 Likes

I think it is just America. You guys are screwed.

3 Likes

My insurance won’t pay for newer meds. Latuda was like 1,600.00 for thirty pills. Give me a break.

1 Like

We give people incentive to make drugs. Because they can make alot of money here. There are no caps on what you can charge on drugs with a patent on them.

1 Like