How many times have you had depression

In America I had many times but I could not talk about it and I had to go over these phases by myself, once I used Zygon International supermind technologies, once I went to the library of Emory University and copied a book about clinical psychiatry and intervention methods, I just could not tell anybody due to many reasons. In 1989 at JFK I purchased Donald Trump’s book ‘Depression’ and some people laughed at me and they thought it was about psychological depression, but it was about economics.

Personal economic depression?.. much of my life I didn’t have much money or a stable job… that was depressing.

National depression… don’t know really.

Psychologic depression? more times then I can count.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety when I was 14. I slept through freshman year of high school because I was too depressed to get out of bed in the morning and go to school. My psychologist stood up for me however when they wanted to send me to lockup for my truancy and explained that my absence was due to depression and severe anxiety rather than something criminal.

It is now called “school refusal” or something like that. It’s more common in Japan I’ve read.

When I was 13 I began to suffer a severe depression. I struggled all throughout my teens and early twenties. When I was 26 it hit me hard again. Slowly though it was replaced with full blown psychosis. Recently I’ve been having mood swings. Mostly mania, but little glitches of depression too. Before I went in the hospital a couple of weeks ago there was one day where the depression hit me hard. I don’t think it was a chemical depression, but instead situational. I’ve had a lot going on recently.
They go back and forth with Schizoaffective Disorder and Paranoid Schizophrenia as my diagnosis. It’s confusing because on this forum there are a lot of people with Schizophrenia who also struggle with depression. When is it Schizoaffective and when is it Schizophrenia with Depression? That confuses me. :sunny:

My mother, my brother, my cousins, my aunt my father a bit, and myself of course all suffer from depression.
I had depression since I was a kid - it followed me through my teens and into adulthood. I am finally realizing life without chronic depression, thanks to Lamictal - other antidepressants made me too manic

1 Like

I think since my psychotic break 3 years ago I’ve been depressed almost the whole time, but its getting bad right now. It feels like I just keep going lower and lower.

During the times I smoked pot it felt like the depression was lifted, or at least I didn’t realize it as much, but now, being clean for almost 3 months, I can say these have been the worst 3 months of my life.

So i’d say this is the 2nd time that it’s been real tough depression.

It’s in my family too. That’s great you found a med that works. When I took Lamictal it made my tongue and lips swell up so I’m allergic to it. In August I started taking Neurontin for nerve pain, back pain, and anxiety. I was so happy to of found something that would help three issues, but it made me manic. I don’t think I’ve ever been manic before, but it was fun. I just felt soooo good. I would get so excited over lectures on the internet and my music, but I couldn’t stop talking and moving. I would be sitting in a chair and moving all over the place. I also wasn’t sleeping or eating. The one night I called Jason at 3am and was rambling on about how money is equivalent to time and is so valuable because we’re all losing time as death draws nearer and nearer to us. My doctor told me to stop taking it and that we would find something else. :sunny:

I am glad you are over your mania @SunGirl - I did some more research on Neurontin, and it seems that in some people with bipolar tendencies it could make you hypomanic or manic - this is new info for me. I have decided not to take it for this reason, well there other reasons too. I am glad that you seem to be doing better and will be trying something else :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @Wave! I can see how mania can get out of hand as you tend to have grandiose delusions and make major decisions on the flip of a coin. I loved the mania though. I really feel for you though because having schizophrenia with bipolar disorder on top of it must be hard. Schizophrenia is hard enough and then adding the mood component, just wow. Someone on here said that Schizophrenia is the worst illness in the DSM. I disagree with that. Schizoaffective is the worst. :sunny:

1 Like

I had depression as an early teen. I didnt sleep much, didnt speak that much, and had circles under my eyes. I was in a bad time of life which was full of suffering. I felt like an adult stuck in a kids body, I was at this damn catholic school across the street and had been there my whole life (I was 13). I just hated my existence. I was an atheist and was forced to get confirmed in the catholic church.

My parents have apologized for the whole thing. I transferred to an international high school after my freshman year at an all boys catholic school where I had developed a crippling case of OCD. I developed anorexia after OCD but then recovered from that very quickly, it was anorexia but it lasted only six months. I then was very healthy, academically and socially flourishing, and stayed that way for about two years. Then I became psychotic and was like that for about two years. Now it has been almost a year since I completely recovered from psychosis. I was just very slightly psychotic at this time last year, I functioned normally but was not right in the head. I actually wrote a journal about it, I knew my ■■■■, as I am psychology major, and I wrote about what it was like to be just a little insane but sane for the most part. Since then I have had medication adjustments and am now legally sane. It has been almost a year since my last full blown episode, which was due to trying a different medication regiment, and all hell broke loose, so I was promptly put back on the old med and even given twice as much of it with xanax and propanolol to seal the lid of my head. I then picked up a caffeine habit. LOL

I have felt ups and downs but have not been seriously depressed since the age of 13. I am 21 now.

Depression is a bitch. I know it is, I had it. I was mistaken to have depression again at 18 but it was prodromal schizophrenia, a common misdiagnosis which is mentioned in textbooks all of the time. From the outside, the two disorders can look like the same thing. I then blew a gasket and began rambling about conspiracies and was given psychosis NOS in two seconds, which I shoved up my ass, then kept rambling about delusions to the psychologist, who was probably a little frustrated but maybe entertained, as I was off my rocker and running around naked in his eyes.

So yeah, just once. It can be crippling. Seek treatment for it. It can take your life in some cases.

I’ve had anxiety and depression since I was a child. I’ve always been pretty isolated and spent a lot of time sleeping away days. Since I’ve started receiving treatment though I’ve come out of my shell a bit. I don’t go out with people every week, and I don’t actively seek friendships, but I have friends that I talk to occasionally, and I have a healthy relationship with my boyfriend.

My worst depression occurred during a psychotic episode. I was not sleeping, and just writing nonsense in a notebook constantly, and when my therapist would tell me that my notebooks didn’t make sense I would just cry out of anger and leave the sessions. I went home to bed and stayed there, not attending classes, not eating, not showering…

I still get bouts of depression from time to time. I get very, very sad and upset, and I just cry. I’ll miss class, or leave work early. I am learning to work through it though. My therapist has helped me a bit, by showing me how to put on a happy face so I can get through the day, and then deal with my emotions in the privacy of my home in a healthy way. Shutting down isn’t an option for me anymore.

crushingly bad depression 3 to 7 times a year and ialways feel the same why now?

There are some depression symptoms in SZ http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/6/3/169.full

As for me…Some depression now. I’ve never kept a mood journal so lost count on how many times I’ve been depressed. But has always been a debate by my doctors of SZ or SZA

1 Like