Would it be scary to switch from Risperdal to something else

I’ve been on Risperdal for 4 years. It’s really been helping thoughts repeating in my head. My positive symptoms are almost nonexistant.

My weight is really bothering me.

I think I still have to be on an injection and Ziprasidone doesn’t have a long enough lasting injection.

I’m almost certain I would freak out if I didn’t have Risperdal in my system.

2 Likes

It’s always a big risk. I try to avoid switching.

1 Like

I will be a disaster if I switched I just want to be thin.

1 Like

I can only speak from personal experience, but it wasn’t too bad when they put me on Latuda after I had been on Geodon and Seroquel for a long time. I did switch back, though. Geodon and Seroquel is a drug combination that works great for me.

1 Like

How long did it take you to get off Geodon and Seroquel @crimby

I don’t think I ever got off those drugs completely. It felt like Latuda wasn’t working right for me, so I switched back. Maybe the reason I was feeling agitated on Latuda was because I was withdrawing from Geodon and Seroquel.

1 Like

It’s natural to want to be healthy and attractive. If I ballooned up in weight I would probably switch. The problem is it’s unknown what will happen. What happens if they put you on a med that doesn’t work. Most meds cause you to gain weight. If you switch you might get the double whammy — symptoms return and still gain weight. I don’t know what to advise you either way. There are both negatives and positives to staying and switching. The best recommendation I can give to you is to thoroughly think through your decision. Changing meds is a deeply personal decision. I wish you the best no matter what your decision is.

2 Likes

Thanks @tyme wise advice.

I switched from risperdal to haldol because of the weight gain and other side effects. I lost like 15 pounds right away after switching.

2 Likes

How much weight did you lose overall @unknown

Usually there has to be a reason

risperdal made my breasts leak milk

but I ran on the med and stayed in weight proximity.

I switched to Invega, I tolerated it, and had no more problems.

1 Like

i was suicidal on risperdal…sexual impotence side effects and weight gain…now I’m on generic prolixin (fluphenazine) and I feel great and am about to break the 200 lb. barrier.

2 Likes

I’ve gained weight on risperdal, until I’ve had 36% body fat.
Now I have 23% body fat by doing exercise and eating smart

1 Like

I’ve been able to lose weight on haladol if I try. My body adjusted to the med. Your body may adjust to your med. how long did you say you have been on your current med?

1 Like

Overall I lost 15 pounds but I haven’t been dieting or exercising or anything like that.

1 Like

I’ve been on my current med regimen for a little over four months now.

1 Like

I was told I can switch to Invega because of my weight gain but I don’t think it would change much weight wise for me.

I wish I was around 200 lbs @jukebox that would be like winning the lottery for me.

2 Likes

probably not, but it doesn’t make me really hungry,

that’s one good thing.

1 Like

I get hungry pretty easily. I’ve heard a lot of negative stories about Invega.