Risperdal weight gain

Holy crow! It is so difficult to lose weight on Risperdal. When I got off of Depakote ER, I thought the pounds would come off of me. I have not weighed myself in a while out of frustration. It seemed that I had lost some weight - a tiny bit (visually). I took a look in the mirror today and man it now seems like I actually gained some more weight! I have been dieting and increased my exercise - but no luck. I really cant wait to talk to my pdoc - this is totally unacceptable

I’m on risperdal. The worst effect of the anti psychotics is the weight gain. I would love to find a way to reduce it.

1 Like

I recently switched back to Risperdal, and I have gained weight.

I gained about 15 pounds on Risperdal, and while I was on it, I also had a hard time losing the weight. The pounds come off pretty quickly once I stopped Risperdal though.

1 Like

Tonight my â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  moronic brother had the nerve to tell me that my weight gain has nothing to do with me taking Risperdal.
I have been struggling with my weight and I simply cannot lose a truly noticeable amount of weight as long as I am on this god forsaken drug. I am tired of all the â– â– â– â–  my father and â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  brother are preaching to me about my weight gain.
“Exercise more” “Eat less” “Work out into a sweat everyday” “Get some willpower” ■■■■ them all. These meds make you lazy,hungry. and fat. It is as simple as that. my brother is as big as a small planet, and he has the nerve to preach to me about weight. I say ■■■■ him and his arrogant attitude !!! I finally weighed myself this morning, and I remained at the same weight even by exercising, watching my diet and taking metformin - this is really ■■■■■■■■

I feel the pain. Being SZ is bad enough - but then throw the weight issue into it. Such a pain.

Man I cannot tell you how pissed off and tired of this game I am. I have been trying so hard to lose, doing everything right. Assholes like my condescending brother tells me I have no willpower? I dont try enough? People just dont get it. These meds are the cause of the weight gain. They were designed to do 3 things - crave carbs/make you hungry - change your metabolism/make you increase weight - make it difficult to lose weight. I know I am ranting - but when you haven taken antipsychotics for as long as me, a breaking point will finally show up

The main reason I stopped taking the meds in the past is the weight gain. Its such a complete pain.

Its more than just being a pain - it is completely unacceptable. In my case weight gain is a total health risk. I suffer from diabetes type 2 and metabolic syndrome - this now changes everything. I am going to see my pdoc and lay it on the line.
I was dumb and naive enough to believe that if I worked on my food intake and if I exercised more, I should lose even as little as half a pound. I weighed myself this morning and I am the same exact weight as 3 weeks ago, even after all this work. I am so done with all of this â– â– â– â– 

I hope it goes well. Try alli perhaps?

M.

Maybe ask your pdoc for Topomax? Its a anti seizure med that stops the weight gain and might help you lose weight.

Yeah, as I posted earlier, I probably need a med adjustment on my other med - I have not been feeling myself lately.
I will talk to my pdoc about different avenues I can take. Thanks guys

I was on Risperdal for a few months and gain about 40lbs recently. From 170-210lbs. Now I am off of it now taking Geodon but still gaining weight (215lbs). It’s very sickening haha.