Switching from Risperdone to Haldol

Anyone have any experience switching from risperdone to haldol? I was on risperdone 1mg and gained a lot of weight.
I go to the gym, do cardio and weight training plus cal restrictions and no luck with losing the lbs. I’m switching to haldol 2mg tmrw and heard it’s overall weight neutral.
I want to know how its like switching and will it improve my weight especially with diet and exercise (and how long til I see changes)

risperidone 1mg? only?

Yes it has started to lose effect but i refuse to go up because of weight gain so i decided to switch to haldol

did this 1mg keep your positive symptoms under control?

It did for 2 years. But recently for about two months I’m getting intrusive violent thoughts and dreams , i was about to go up til I found out the reason I have trouble losing lbs is because of risp.

I used to take 12 and now 9mg risperidone to keep my positives under control. 1mg seems like nothing. good for you that it helped you.

I honestly didn’t even know they prescribed that much for risperdone. Everyone brain chem is different, i might have fried my brain to the point where I am docile… I was on methadone maintenance for a while and it completely changed my chemistry and body :confused:

1 Like

I gained 60 pounds after starting haldol. I don’t know if it was just coincidence.

1 Like

I’ve switched from 6mg of risperdal to 5mg of haldol in the past and had no problems. The low dose of haldol actually got rid of half of my hallucinations which was great.

1 Like

How many mg of haldol were u on

Did u do a sudden switch or did you taper off risperdone gradually

It was a sudden switch

Ok good!! That’s exactly what I’m doing tmrw. Sudden switch. I hate tapering . Ur reply put me at ease I was paranoid I was getting worried about going nuts as I want this to work so bad

1 Like

Hopefully everything goes well for you

Ok update I just started my haldol today and i… LOVE IT . Like I said risperdone was starting to lose effect but this morning I feel euphoric, like I can conquer the world, i haven’t had this much optimism In years… wow!! I heard so many horror stories with haldol but like I said, everyone reacts different with meds. Wow!!! I feel great!! :joy:thank u guys so much!

2 Likes

I was on 50 mg of the shot. I’m on 75 mg now of haldol

Let me know how the weight thing goes! I had a really good experience w Risperidone except for the weight gain & also prolactin problems so my pdoc said next I should try haldol since it wouldn’t affect prolactin and was most similar to Risperidone chemically. Except I am very hesitant to go on as I just got back to a healthy weight recently (even though I quit Risperidone years ago) and don’t want to lose all that hard work I put in to make that happen.

Sure thing. Today is day 1 will keep u updated!!

1 Like

When I was taking haldol it didn’t cause me to gain weight at all. I was on 5 and eventually 10 mg but had to stop it so wasn’t on it all that long just a few months.

1 Like

Hey update . Been off three days and on haldol and I just weighed myself and I’m 3 lbs lighter Wahoo. Now mind u I have been working out when I was on risperdone and did a lot of weight training so there’s that but I look visibly thinner already I am happy it also helps that risp withdrawal does give u the butt runs which is something to keep in mind

2 Likes