Why so many people reject medication use?

I met numerous people suffering from various illnesses. One dude got hospitalized like 15 times being 27 because he kept not using meds. There are other cases like a girl, bullimic, who cant lose weight or weight goes up and down purposely goes to doctors for help and rejects help and uses med like for a month and then stops because “i can not gain a single gram”. Also some girl suffering from ocd that works at disabled kids school panicks that gave out items not according to the line and fears of being fired cause its sounds ridiculous. I am not talking like antivaxxers that surrounds with false info, im talking people who want help and refuses to take pill or dont listen during psychitherapy

2 Likes

In sz its called lack of insight. Now I recognize my symptoms and how they improve on meds. Years before I would go psychotic without being aware of it, psychosis was normal for me. I stopped meds for 2yrs.

3 Likes

I don’t take meds for several reasons. Primarily because of the side effects. Also, meds aren’t a cure, or even a guarantee. It’s a lot to go through to find out they don’t even work. If I’m going to have to learn how to cope with my illness regardless of medintake because they are rarely effective, why not just learn how to cope, and not be tortured further by the side effects of meds? Makes no sense to me. Which brings me to another reason. Meds are for society, not the individual. Idgaf about society.

8 Likes

I don’t lack inisight but I wish I could quit meds

I came off my AP due to side effects. I decided to try ADs again. But keep in mind I have good insight and can tell when I am going sideways.

1 Like

Because of some meds are worser than the diease itself and don’t feel comfortable with them like i do. I feel horrible with the current medicine but all the time telling myself in my head don’t stop taking them until you 100% finished and healthy and only permission from my psychiatric doctor.

I hope I’ll be able to come off my APs successfully too @anon4362788. I’m reducing the dose again soon.

1 Like

Btw I don’t care of taking them even for 100 years till they harm me and I suffer from horrible side effects.

1 Like

I didnt take meds because i had episodic sz and one injection of haloperidol would make symptoms go away for a long time

Most of the time

Wishing you the best of luck with it. I know I have a little more energy now. And clear headed, plus my old personality is coming back.

4 Likes

I really hope I get more energy and become more awake, because functioning on APs will be hard while working full time after my studies.

4 Likes

Some meds have nasty side effects so i understand why people wouldnt take them i stopped prozac because it made me angry almost every day not worth it.

Every drug have side effects some have suffer from them and some have lucky of not have absore them

1 Like

If you don’t want to take meds that’s fine…but to say that they are rarely effective is not true. Meds generally are effective in treating Schizophrenia. They don’t help everyone but they do help most. Here is an article to back up my assertion.

4 Likes

I wish someone have already invent a drug that fit to everybody 100% and no suffering from any side effects thats will be kinda of breaktrough for all of us.

2 Likes

Like I said. You are perfectly free to not take meds. That’s your choice. But I have the facts on my side. You didn’t even read the article so how would you know whether or not you believe it? You can see when a article has been viewed.

Anyway…I know from personal experience as well. Ap’s brought me out of acute psychosis.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good thing. I would prefer to be off meds. But I know what the alternative is. Calling people names because you disagree with them is a sign of extreme immaturity. You have not had the experiences I have had.

4 Likes

“Perfectly free to not take meds. That’s your choice.” Nope we are forced to take them, if I had a choice I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

I think beause you are off of taking your meds you talking like this

1 Like

Using medication willingly because the science approves it, the doctors recommend it, and they help you function and not be sick is being a sheep… OK… I don’t know what you’re reading about this but it sounds like you’re being indoctrinated against meds.

2 Likes