Why don't they prescribe APs in combination (2 or more)?

Any idea why these things can’t be combined for a better effect?

They do. Usually an atypical with a typical. Jimbob is on seroquel and haldol I think.

2 Likes

Typical or atypical …R u talking about…

There is an increase of unexpected side effects when antipsychotics are combined, such as arrhythmia, sedation and movement disorders.
Sometimes combining antipsychotics can be more effective than taking a single antipsychotic, but you need to be knowledgeable in the matter.

4 Likes

I have taken 2 atypical Aps combined. Aripiprazole and seroquel. One in the morning and one in the evening. Seroquel was mainly for sleeping.

I take 2 atypicals - Geodon and Seroquel. They have kept me free of psychosis for many years.

They do sometimes, but like simonw said, it increases side-effects. And there’s not much information on how safe it is. There is evidence that antidepressants give fewer side-effects with equivalent therapeutic effects in some combinations, but antipsychotics seem to work differently.

Some people take Quetiapine at night to help with sleep and anxiety, and the other antipsychotic for the sz

1 Like

I take rexulti and saphris

They do. I’m on three atypical AP’s: Risperdal Consta, Geodon, and Seroquel. And it all works great for me.

1 Like

Because of the side effects usually it’s not preferred. (Also higher chance of longterm health detriments) But it is used in situations for those who one med alone doesn’t seem to work/they’re especially med resistant.

3 Likes