Does taking two antipsychotic increase side effects?

Im currently on abilify 15mg and seroquel 600mg and was wondering does taking two antipsychotic at the same time increase side effects instead of just taking one?

Yes you get side effects from both meds.

Depends. You have side effects possible from both meds, but a lot of times you can take lower doses so you’re less likely to get the bad ones.

I take two AP’S and as far as I know I only have one or two side effects from each. They are fairly low doses. The amisulpride gives me lack of sex drive, and the olanzapine gives me restless legs and weight gain. But not in severe way so it’s barely noticeable.

I think the side effects increase more with the dosage not so much the number of meds.

I’ve been on Geodon and Seroquel for about fifteen years, and I haven’t noticed any worse side effects because I’m taking two med’s.

im on invega 100mg injection and 200 mg of zoloft

As with blood pressure medicine I imagine doctors prescribe two medicines instead of one to reduce the intensity of the side effects that you would have gotten from taking a double dose of one medicine to do the same job.

Presumably each medicine has side effects with a slightly different profile so you might have a couple of tolerable side effects rather than get slammed with one whopping side effect from only one medicine.

the seroquel abilify combo might be kind of…reduntant, one drug blocks dopamine while the other stabilizes it. because abilify has a longer half life than seroquel chances are most of the day youre being stabilized, while for seven hours you are being weakly blocked. i have been on the same combo in the past, now i just take 15mg abilify with 200seroquel as needed for breakthrough symptoms, turns out i didn’t need both drugs everyday/

Normally doctors prescribe two drugs when they are afraid to give a high dose of first drug. They shift the burden onto the second drug. Sometimes doctors give second drug if they already gave max dose of first drug and the symptoms are not subsided, so they add second drug to control the disease.

Taking two anti psychotics need not necessarily increase the side effects.

I take three AP’s, Risperdal Consta, Geodon, and Seroquel and my only side effect is a very dry mouth. I’m on max dose of all three.