Why can't we handle freedom?

I read a article today that says never before have there been more cases of diabetes, heart disease, mental illness…you name it.

It’s like up 50% since the 90’s. So what are we doing wrong as society? Why do people keep making bad(and worse) choices for their health?

4 Likes

Because the family unit is breaking down and honestly has been broken for a long time.

Sorry. That’s all I have.

5 Likes

Poverty. The minimum wage has barely changed since the 90s. No one can afford healthcare. And fast food is cheaper and easier than groceries.

8 Likes

Better change at getting diagnosed and raised awareness of symptoms.

2 Likes

Also, bad sleep schedules because of being overworked (causes illness and weight gain), not having the time to work out, pollution. Probably more. Obesity is not just a consequence of being able to afford a lot of food, it is also the result of not having the resources to maintain a healthy lifestyle despite being able to afford food. So really it’s more because of a lack of freedom than because people aren’t able to handle freedom well.

4 Likes

Some say technology is the cause. Maybe there is some truth in it. Ppl used to be more physically active and ate more healthy in the past. Now its an office job and eating junk food.

2 Likes

My mother is an accountant, she sits all day at the computer and then at home sits again at the computer to surf social media, watch youtube etc Her diet is bad too but she’s trying to improve it. She’s overweight and I think the reason she’s not losing weight is that she sits infront of the computer 24/7.

4 Likes

I was born with heart disease, can’t blame it on choices I’ve made. I’m doing a lot better these days. Developed a recovery mindset regarding physical health and am pushing myself to eat better and move more.

2 Likes

yea that makes sense…

1 Like

Except without technology, people would still choose to sit still most of the day if they had the option to do so and no interest in taking care of their health.

1 Like

yea that is true @anon9798425

Yea I agree but maybe nowdays with technology its harder to be healthy.

Especially if you have a job requiring you to sit at the computer all day.

I think it’s a lot easier, actually. The problem is not technology. Technology just makes things simpler.

You technically don’t have to sit still to use your computer, you know.

Idk when I didnt have a computer I passed much more time outside with friends.

Technology saves time. Not at work in the US, though, because that increased productivity hasn’t led to higher wages for most people the last four decades or so. You don’t need to be moving your body for a long time to get in shape. You could do it in not too many minutes most days of the week. Technology makes that much easier, because we have more time. However, when you’re constantly tired because of being overworked, poor and in bad health, it’s not easy at all.

1 Like

Not really. I have breaks. I walk during them. I work walking into my other activities. This is how I’ve been picking up groceries since I bought the hand truck in January.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00BUUUIGK/

I also try to bundle unhealthy things with healthy things. I want to watch a TV show? I can only watch it if I’m using resistance bands at the same time. I want a small dish of ice cream? I have to earn the calories by exercising first.

I’m feeling the best I have in a decade. You just have to commit to being healthy.

2 Likes

Technology is useful, not denying that but you need to incorporate gym time like 1-2hrs daily if you have a sedentary job like the ones where you sit at the computer all day. When I had a physical job I didn’t need to go to the gym to be healthy.

1 Like

Back when I was a chef I worked so hard I could pound a cheesecake a day and still lose weight. I’m also in my fifties now and my metabolism is slowing down, so whatever problems you think YOU have, be happy for them. You’re not going to like how fast weight piles on in another twenty years.

1 Like