What’s your favorite prn for breakthrough symptoms?

I’m interested in getting a prn. What one(s) work best for you?

2 Likes

Klonopin works best for me.
It actually works wonders for my anxiety and moods.

2 Likes

Ok. No one is allowed benzos where I get care, but that’s good to know. Thanks!

5 Likes

I hear that low dose olanzapine (Zyprexa) is sometimes used as a PRN for those of us suffering with a psychotic/mood disorder.

No more than 5mg

2 Likes

Hmmm… I used to take Lorazepam as a prn during my first year of illness, and it worked. Right now, when I get anxiety, I just do breathing exercises and that’s usually enough. It doesn’t happen often, fortunately.
I don’t need prn for positive symptoms, because they don’t occur anymore.

My regular treatment consists of Aripiprazole (Abilify) and Fluoxetine (Prozac).

3 Likes

Oh. Ok. Thanks. I’ll look into that @Wave

1 Like

You’re so lucky! 15

2 Likes

I know, I feel like a cheat sometimes.

I did have several relapses, when messing with my meds, so I learned my lesson.
Also struggled with severe negatives for several years. They’re much diminished now.

3 Likes

Wow. Even your negatives are better. I’m happy for you

1 Like

Thanks, ZmaGal & Wave.

I hope you find relief from symptoms too.

1 Like

In 1975, when I was sent home from the hospital on Perphenazine, I had a PRN for 50 mgs. of Thorazine. And one afternoon I asked to have my PRN.

The older antipsychotics, at least, had an antianxiety affect as well as an antipsychotic effect. They were called “tranquilizers”.

2 Likes

Green tea and petting the kitty.

2 Likes

I have some Risperdal on hand for that if they would be bad. Otherwise I reality check and engage in something to distract me.

1 Like

I take Klonopin and Buspar :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:

1 Like

That is too bad. Benzos can be very helpful. :shrimp::shrimp::shrimp:

1 Like

I have had klonopin in the past, but I had more luck with 2.5 mg of Zyprexa. It was fast acting for me, and so stopped episodes in their tracks. But it also wore off quickly so was of limited benefit.

These days I am prescribed hydroxyzine, but I don’t like it. I knocks me out too much. (Short version of a long story is that I have also been diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder since 1993, and my kid parts say that the sedative effect of PRN meds make them feel too funny, like someone is holding them down. So I really avoid taking it. I only have a prescription for 25 mg of the hydroxyzine, and I sometimes take a kiddie Benadryl (12.5 mg) instead. I prefer not taking a PRN at all.

1 Like

I use Quetiapine, works pretty well, but makes me a zombie for the next 36 hours

1 Like

My pdoc said today maybe one day I’ll only take Valium as a prn. I had a doctor take me off of a benzo once because he said it was harmful to be on one a long time but I wasn’t ready and he let me go back on it. I don’t know if a benzo would be a good prn because you can be chemically addicted if you take it too often, but I’m no doctor.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I responded before reading the responses. That never works out. But it might be helpful to know some doctors feel a long term use of benzos are harmful though my current pdoc doesn’t.

1 Like

For many years I’ve been lucky in that I just take a supplement as a PRN. It acts like a weak benzo for me. Others here have tried it and haven’t had success though.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-sports-beta-alanine-endurance-750-mg-120-veg-capsules/13949

2 Likes