What is your estimate, how far out is a cure for schizophrenia?

What is your estimate, how far out is a cure for schizophrenia?

3 Likes

5-10 years definitely

1 Like

Id love to tell u that a cure is possible and will be out in a couple of months. Sadly the reality is quite far from that. I dont even know if a cure is possible. We might possibly get better meds which should give us better functioning in say 10 to 20yrs. Or maybe well get a cure in that time frame. Who knows?!

3 Likes

I think we’re not too far from preventing it from happening to individuals before they are born.

As for a cure for those already afflicted, I don’t see it happening anytime soon, if at all.
The damage is already done to our brains and behavior patterns.

You’d need magic to fix the misdevelopment of our brains, and magic isn’t real, so…

Cure for fetuses, yes. Cure for living people / adults… No.

4 Likes

I think u are right. Its depressing to have to accept this but i dont see how it could be otherwise.

If some of us had stayed away from drugs i believe we would never have gotten sick. Sad reality. Too late to do anything about it.

@GentleSoul a cure is POSSIBLE.
It is POSSIBLE and IT WILL HAPPEN.
And the sooner, the better.
Take note:
Nobody forces you to use the cure.
If you want to stay as is, you are free to do so.
If a cure exists, you will have the possibility to get cured, a possibility that doesn’t exist now.

2 Likes

I don’t believe you can get sick from drugs only. Lots of people so drugs without being sick.
I do beliebe drugs can trigger an underlying condition, and make unnoticeable symptoms way worse.

2 Likes

How do you know? What’s your proof? Where’s the science?

You seem to be basing this on hope and belief.
This isn’t a Disney film, things don’t magically happen if we want it to hard enough…

2 Likes

This is all well and good but i just dont see it happening. Science is progressing but too slowly. There are still too many unknown facts.

Now if a cure happens ill take it.

But tell me, realistically where will that cure come from? What technology?

Thats what i am saying its a trigger. Remove the trigger and uve just saved lives.

1 Like

@Pikasaur the science says all the time there is progress in understanding the genetics of the disease,

and there is progress in brain research and imaging as well, and that is a step toward understanding

the mechanism of the disease and the genetics of the disease.

@GentleSoul from what we know now the most promising options are gene therapy and stem cell
therapy, but we live in a fast-paced world and other promising treatment mechanisms may emerge.

1 Like

Understanding the layout is not the same as reversing years of misdevelopment in an already damaged brain.

Being able to keep the disease from happening in unborn children is a possibility.

Magically repairing adults isn’t. I haven’t seen any scientific study or article making it seem like a possibility.

And by the way, the longer you choose to damage your brain by psychosis and not taking medicines, the less a chance you have of being healed should it one day against all odds be a possibility.

I so wish you were right. Lets pray it happens though.

1 Like

I don’t agree with you @Pikasaur, I think that it is possible to cure the disease and I am sure
it will happen.
It will happen FOR SURE, it is just a question of timetable and access to care.
Prevention is also awesome, of course.
I am all for cures and preventions.
I can’t state my opinion about Antipsychotics.

What makes you so sure? How do you know the whole idea of a cure isn’t just an intrusive thought gone wild?
You’ve been known to have those.

Stop fixating on a hope for the future, and start learning how to cope with the present instead.

3 Likes

If only scientists had already identified the cause of sz. Then i believe we might talk about getting cured. This is a question that interests me way more, when will we know the cause of sz?

I wouldnt talk of intrusive thought. Its only natural to want to get cured.

Yes, it’s a natural desite to get better.
But when it becomes a fixation and all a person can talk and think about, ignoring the present life, it’s become unnatural.

@Pikasaur I am going to push for a cure as much as I can.
What depends on me I’ll do.
It is NOT an intrusive thought, it will become a reality in the future.
I am not fixated ONLY on that, but as it will have a HUGE impact on my life, I dare to dream and push for a cure.

I know a cure is impossible for me .