What is your estimate, how far out is a cure for schizophrenia?

150 years :money_with_wings:

6 Likes

In my opinion 5-10 years

1 Like

I fixed it for you.

3 Likes

5-10 years in my opinion.
:hotsprings:

Realistically id say 50. Well in 50yrs from now well have identified the root cause of sz.

2 Likes

@GentleSoul I believe it will happen faster.
:running_man:

@anon9798425 is a very dishonest moderator.
Editing my posts and making things up.

I wish u were right but so much needs to happen before a cure is even imaginable.

I’m just messing with you.
I love you, Chess.
Hope you’re right about the cure.

:heart_eyes:

You’re one of my favorites, @Chess24.

@GentleSoul it will happen, and it will happen soon.
Be optimistic because it is going to happen soon.

1 Like

20 years. So way into my career that I cannot undo unfortunate happenings.

1 Like

@Ranjeeth 20 years would be awesome!
It means a great chance of it happening in our lifetime!

There are some people who cured their schizophrenia, so they already found the cure

1 Like

I feel that a cure rests in the ability to permanently up or down-regulate NMDA receptors.

2 Likes

Tell me about it?!

I think it will be cured incrementally like most illnesses (I think?). Like cancer for example, I don’t think you’re gonna wake up read in the news paper, “BAM! THE CURE FOR CANCER HAS BEEN FOUND!!”

I think it’s more like step by step. Like how you see news articles posted here all the time mentioning slow steady advancements in our understanding of the illness improving the treatment of it. 100 years ago they’d just lock you up and give you sedatives. Today look how much progression there has been! There’s so much help, a new generation of anti-psychotics, support systems, medications, therapies. The quality of life and mental health of your average person who has schizophrenia is improving every day in my opinion. Slowly but steadily. Soon there might even be a third generation medication that’s slightly better than atypical, then maybe some years later a new generation of medicines until the suffering is greatly diminished

4 Likes

From what I’ve read the cure will be for children yet to be born rather than us.

1 Like

Cannot say. We have real cures for few conditions outside infections or surgically treated conditions. Advances have been made but schizophrenia has multiple etiologies. Stem cells may change the picture in the future.

The probability is that with the pace of scientific progress being what it is that this will happen someday. But like a vaccine for malaria the number of new problems that arise each time a hopeful candidate is tried, we learn more information about the basic science involved, so there is often progress without practical results.

As a secondary interest, how far do you all think knowledge could advance before psychiatry and neurology essentially come together? If over time (decades or more) psychoactive medicines are increasingly well understood/targeted and big advancements are made in psychosurgery then it seems psychotherapy is the only thing psychiatrists would have to offer compared to a neurologist just treating the brain like any other organ is treated. Seems like in the long run (like 50+ years) that neurology could replace all the “medicine” of psychiatry and then psychologists would do the therapy.

That being said, I guess it’s just as likely that something else seemingly absurd happens, like an “Interventional Psychiatry” field arising where people do a fellowship to learn some form of minimally invasive neurosurgery.

The cure is now.

If you understand what schizophrenia really is, then that places you in control. You have surrounded it.

If your interpretation of what it is is flawed, the you are not able to encompass it.

1 Like

@OTRA awareness is good, but it is not enough.
Schizophrenia creates severe functioning difficulties.