What is the best drug on the market

What in your experience has been the best drug to take? I hear voices and I am currently on Risperidone. I have an appt tomorrow and want to discuss options.

1 Like

It’s different for each person and there’s not really a decent way of knowing what will work best for you. Change can be hard if you’ve some function on your meds but sometimes change is necessary if they aren’t working well or you may have some negative side effects.

For me zyprexa works well. I’ve tried risperdal and abilify. Both weren’t the best for me and I moved back to zyprexa. Check with your psydoc. Mine is pretty intuitive and if he suggests a drug I usually will try it.

2 Likes

Geodon and Seroquel are what works best for me. They get rid of my symptoms without turning me into a brain dead zombie. For some people Geodon is The Answer.

1 Like

I’m on abilify now and feeling okay. I used to be on haldol. Goedon and Latuda never worked for me.

1 Like

I’m on clozapine and lithium and amitriptyline and lamotrigine. Clozapine is supposed to be the wonder drug when all else fails. I’m not sold on that

2 Likes

There is no best drug for all people. You have to find the right molecule for your body. It took 6 years of trial and error for me to find mine, which is Vraylar. Clozaril is the one that works best but is a last resort because of side effects. I’ve been on it but got off. Who knows, I might end up back on it someday. I’ve been labeled treatment resistant when I first got sick. I was a bad case. Couldn’t tell if my doctor was real or existed, which in hind sight, makes me laugh. It probably pissed him off.

How long have you been sick? I’ve met many healthcare professionals. Some are good, some are okay, and some just overmedicated me. I almost died before from NMS. Just be careful. It was a horrible experience for me.

The newer meds are somewhat risky. They also cost a lot. I read Surviving Schizophrenia and the author preferred older meds because they had been tested more and largely there wasn’t much difference. When I say older I mean second generation like Risperdal.

But from my experience Vraylar took some time getting adjusted too. Initially, I had anxiety like restlessness. I’m still overweight but I’m happy and stable.

Best thing you can do is find a good, affordable doctor, AND educate yourself. It helps to have a good, strong support structure like family. Look into NAMI.

2 Likes

That’s good man I didn’t know you were on vraylar. Glad you found something that works. I was going to try that if the abilify didn’t work out.

2 Likes

In a few days I am going to drop abilify and will b only on geodon. So far geodon has been great for me but I will not kno until abilify is dropped. I hope I don’t go phychotic

2 Likes

Every medication I take has unwanted side effects, but I need my medication so I take it. I take zyprexa. It makes me dizzy and feel terrible if I stand in line for 20 minutes. I also exercise most days and now I am on a no sugar diet to keep from gaining weight on zyprexa. I have taken Risperdal. It is a good drug. I can’t remember why I switched from it. Many years ago when I was 19 I was on thorazine. It is super sedating, and makes you talk funny and walk funny so it was hard to fit in at college. Stay away from the older drugs.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess different medications work for different people. I’ll talk to my Dr about options today. Thanks for all of your help.

Zyprexa and clozapine are very effective. Seroquel has lower risks of extrapyramidal symptoms and probably TD. Abilify and a few others are less sedating and associated with less weight gain.

I think Zyprexa, Seroquel and Abilify are the three most likely drugs to be prescribed first. Clozapine is prescribed routinely when a few other drugs have failed.

1 Like

I’ve been sick since I was about 24/25 I’m 31 now I have been hearing voices the whole time with no help. I have tried many different medications. I’m thinking of going back on Abilify because I can’t remember why I stopped taking it. I’m going to a NAMI meeting next week.

1 Like

Zyprexa is great for delusions, anxiety and sleep. I don’t gain much weight with it but a lot seem to have weight problems with it.

1 Like

Invega has been the best for me in spite of the weight gain.

1 Like

Remeron/Mirtazapine

Has to be the best med ever for me I feel it controls depression and numbs voices down a lot after long term use.

Best AP for voices

Palperidone

1 Like