Schizophrenia.com

What do you say to your parents?

my dad tried to help but my mum never knew until recently what it was like,

she said recently ‘now i know how you felt’ (talking about pacing the floor) she has depression and anxiety now and she was worried so i said ‘you have got nothing like what i had, its completely different’ would be a disaster if she got it as well.

i used to try and tell my dad things but it didnt go down too well, he did keep me company at night if i was scared and couldnt sleep, we watched telly until i felt a bit better and he got me hospitalised a couple of times when i needed/wanted it,

1 Like

My mom has schizophrenia and my dad works a lot but he’s very supportive. He’s in charge of community outreach programs funding and wants to make a difference. He wants to fix the broken system and help create a substance abuse outreach program locally. He’s in the process of doing it so yeah he’s very understanding but also wants me to be at my best.

3 Likes

it’s good that your dad was there to take care of you. my dad can’t even take care of himself and my mom has this illness too. but I have a sister and a brother who helped me a lot when I got sick. I read a quote online the other day about mental illness ‘you don’t know what it’s like until it happens to you’.

2 Likes

i feel sorry for my dad a bit bc of what he went through as a child and then with me,

his dad (my grandad) developed sz after he split from my gran and he ended up slitting his throat open, my dad went home to find him in a pool of blood on the kitchen floor, my grandad survived and was locked up in a mental hospital and my dad was left to fend for himself for 2 years living off of rabbit and making soup to live on. (grandad died of throat cancer after being certified sane)

then i get into trouble and develop sz and he has to deal with that as well :frowning: but he never let it get him down he was always laughing and joking, then he started drinking after he had to stop working :frowning: , its just not fair bc things could have worked out so well.

[quote=“waterway, post:3, topic:29656”] ‘you don’t know what it’s like until it happens to you’.
[/quote]

You might not even be aware it exists before it happens to you.

My mom was there every step of the way. Every day I was in the hospital she’d visit. I lived with her for nearly two years and she saw all the ups and downs. She heard me trying to explain what it is like. She knows that she’ll never know what it was actually like. She does know very well how it effected me as a person in the real world.

My dad was a lot more hands off. Trusting that I was in a good position and that I’d be alright. Occasionally throwing in things like “Well bud, we’ll do whatever we have to make sure you have a roof over your head.”

They are both acknowledging of the illness and supportive. I don’t think they care to know what it is really like though. Very few people do. That’s why I love this place.

3 Likes

That’s awful. In a lot of ways I’m glad the SZ set in when it did. To get caught off guard as an adult like that would be terrible.

1 Like

yeah. this illness sucks but it’s manageable with medication. If you have your sanity, it shouldn’t bother him. Everybody goes through difficulties. Nobody has it easy. I’m sorry to hear about your grandad.

the funny thing was about my grandad is that he was eventually certified sane, he got his certificate of sanity and released from the mental institution,

he tried to make it on the out side but he never really fitted in and he couldnt stay with my mum and dad (there was nothing set up for him after release), so he travelled around the country in a beat up old motorbike that he had trouble starting and would wear his helmet a lot, i saw a picture of him and he looked like a nice guy, wish i could have known him.

my real father always says to me …
" join with me, and we will rule the universe together, father and son "
take care :alien:

3 Likes