Weight gain and meds

My parents don’t believe that my meds made me gain weight and eat a lot. They blame me for it. They say I eat like crap and a lot. I told them I was 135lb before sz and even my pdoc told them that my meds make me gain weight, they still don’t believe it. They hide my food and I get angry so I started hiding food in my room.

3 Likes

They say its psychological and that I can force myself to get back to my presz weight. Its bs.

It’s a proven fact that most antipsychotics cause weight gain. Many also cause impulse issues which also could contribute to weight gain.

4 Likes

I’m sorry your family isn’t believing you, hopefully they will see you’re telling the truth soon

2 Likes

Is it psychological though?

1 Like

Some of it may be psychological. A lot of us are also bored because we have negative symptoms and often have nothing better to do than eat. It probably makes us feel better to do something we enjoy when we are bored out of our minds.

1 Like

I was 135lb before sz at age 22. I gained a bit of weight during the 8 yrs I was on Abilify but I was still 180-200lb. Since going on Risperdal my weight went up to 285-290lb. Did you lose weight when you went from invega to Abilify?

1 Like

No but I stopped gaining weight I think. I have lost a little bit through walking my dog and monitoring my diet to a certain extent.

It is possible to lose weight on antipsychotics. It’s just harder I think.

2 Likes

Thing is everytime I diet or eat less I get low blood glucose symptoms, dizzy, shaky, weak and nervous/angry.

1 Like

I know you don’t want to, but maybe you need to go the exercise route then if you want to lose weight.

1 Like

I need to lower my AP to be able to do exercise then I will be agitated and irritable fighting with my family and ppl online all day. Idk what to do.

1 Like

Someone need to beat me up or tase me to exercise.

1 Like

Sounds mostly like an avolition problem to me Aziz. I don’t know what to tell you. Outside of surgery, portion control and exercise are the only ways I know of to lose weight. Maybe you will have better luck exercising on Clozapine if it helps your negatives.

1 Like

Possible to get an Oculus and play exercise games? I’m having a blast and winding up all sweaty. Well, as much as you can sweat when you’re a turkey-sized dinsosaur.

Exercise you look forward to. Who knew.

Rawr!

5 Likes

My brother eats same or even more than me and he has a 6 pack.

1 Like

My family keeps yelling at me to eat less and to exercise.

Yeah, metabolism plays a role too. Exercise is still the key. I used to be able to eat as much as I am now and not gain weight.

1 Like

Does your family yell at you to lose weight? My family does that all day everyday.

No, they don’t.

1 Like

I guess I have to put up with them as they are letting me live in their house.

1 Like